for granted

SODA ISNT TELLING ME ANYTHING. he picked me up early from school with a wild grin and elvis blasting from the stereo and i knew then that the rest of the day was going to be eventful. sodapop was always about living in the moment and i think that's why i loved him so much.

we had been driving for about over an hour or so. my bare feet freely dangled out of the open window as the shimmering breeze passed us along. soon enough we were stopped in front of a park. soda opens my door, helping me onto the curb as i slip on my tennis shoes.

"soda, what's going on?" i ask. he doesn't say anything as we walk over towards a bench in front of the playground where children ran around in the sandbox.

his eyes seemed to glow against the now setting sun, as he lets out a low chuckle, pulling out a cigarette from the front breast pocket of his signature red flannel.

"we must be doing something nervy if you're smoking soda," i mumble, watching as the boy takes a drag. a weak smile is all that is offered, before he passes the stick to me.

"so, i guess i should've told you where we were going when i first picked you up-" a sudden slam of a car door interrupts him. i peer from behind us and watch as a beautiful blonde stomps down the pathway.

sodas breath hitches in his throat and then i know. we've come to visit the infamous sandy. my heart drops as he jogs out into the open space over to her, a gasp escaping from her lips as he pulls her off her feet, her arms wrapping around his neck.

i take a long drag of the cigarette, making sure to hold the smoke in my lungs long enough so that my chest aches even more than it already does. how could soda not tell me we were coming to see his old girlfriend? and why would he possibly need me here to watch their beloved reunion?

sandy can not stop smiling up at him. they finish embracing and sit opposite of me on the picnic bench.  i knew who she was. we had gym class together before she left town. over all, she was an okay girl. but once she hurt soda like the way she did, my opinion had changed.

"hi y/n" sandy says. she gives me a tight smile. sodas eyes flicker over to me, his eyes pleading. he knows i don't want to be nice to her, not even a little bit.

"listen, i'm not going to play nice with you after what you did," i say, taking another drag.

"you can never just let things go y/n! it's been 5 months. i'm over it, so you should get over it too." soda says sternly.

"why'd you bring me here then, huh?" i speak harshly. sodas eyes seem to glow with a fury i've never seen from him before.

"you know i hate this bitch for hurting you, and yet you still bring me here to watch you two slobber over each other?" i feel my face flush with heat as i earn stares from a few concerned bystanders.

sandy stays quite as she watches the two of us. her eyes showing no certain emotion nor reaction.

"listen y/n, maybe it's best if you waited in the car. i'll explain everything to you once you cool down"

i glared them both down before leaving to the car.

"so you're really not going to speak to me the whole ride back home?" he says softly. it was the first words spoken since he got back in the tight space of darrys pickup. i didn't look at him, knowing if i did i would most likely break my oath of silence.

"listen y/n, i'm sorry for being such a jerk back there. it's just that you don't understand about sandy and me."

"what is there to understand?" i snapped, "she left you! and guess who was there for you after she was gone? me."

soda sighed deeply as he took a sharp turn off the highway.

"i came to ask her to marry me."

my heart sank. marry her?

"marry her? soda, why would you do that?"

another shaky breath from the boy. i glanced up at him now, his face wearing a smile as the words spilled from his parted lips.

"she's pregnant with my baby."

a gasp rushed out of me. i was winded from what felt like a sudden blow to the stomach. i couldn't bare to look at him, so i faced the window.

"y/n, can you say something please?"

my heartbeat pounded in eardrums, and i am sure that soda can hear the steady rythme.

"what am i supposed to say soda?" i mumbled, a prickling feeling starting in my eyes as i felt a tear fall down my cheek.

"please don't be upset," his hands cupped my cheeks tenderly, as he made me look up at him. His eyes watching me carefully as his thumb brushed my tears away.

"oh soda, i'm sorry, i just can't..."  i pulled away from him and faced the window once again.

my sobs filled the car as we turned down the familiar streets of our town. i don't know why my heart hurt so much. soda and i were never officially anything, we were just good friends, but i guess i grew too comfortable with the possibility of the future. i thought we had years to get together and start a family. today my future with the boy i love is now sandys, and i'm left with absolutely nothing.

"let me out here," i choke out, unbuckling my seatbelt and reaching for my backpack in the backseat. soda watches, his eyes worrisome as i step out of the car.

"i'll see you around soda"

"see you around, y/n"