safe haven

tw: mentions of abuse

I KNEW JOHNNY WOULD be making his way over soon. i can tell from the screaming and crashing coming from next door. it was almost midnight and the sounds coming from the cade house seemed to echo in the quiet streets of tulsa.

i walk over to my window peering out as i unlock it. sure enough i see the boy step out of his front door with his head hanging low. he is making a beeline towards my window. i pull it open and and watch as he climbs through.

"johnny are you alright?" i ask, my voice is hoarse and i silently curse at how ugly i sound. i clear my throat once before i make my way back to my bed.

johnny locks eyes with me as he takes off his jean jacket leaving it at the foot of my bed. since johnny has been staying in my bedroom for some time he has a drawer of clothles in my dresser. fresh t-shirt's and sweatpants, everything the boy would need to sleep comfortable.

he walks over there now pulling out what he needs. before he slips out of his clothes i flip over so im facing the other direction. i hear the rustle of his clothing hitting the floor and then the dip of the bed besides me as he gets under the covers. i then flip over so that i'm facing him. the boy smiles at me weakly.

"are you?" i question again. i brush his hair out of his face as i get a good look at him. it was dark in my room but the moonlight seemed to suddenly drop in and hit his face revealing a large gash on his cheek. i instantly gasp, sitting up.

johnny huffed in a stangled breath as he suddenly wrapped his arms around my shoudlers.

"johnny did your father do this?" i whispered. why was he so calm?

usually johnny left the house because of the arguments his parents had but i haven't seen johnny get hit before. my heart seemed to ache as i stared at him now.

"i'm okay y/n. it's alright don't get upset okay?" his hands were still around me. i hadn't realized it but my breathing had turned really bad and i was on the verge of tears.

johnny pulled me back into him, almost cradling me as i started to cry into his shoulder.

why am i crying and why is johnny comforting me? it should be the other way around but for some reason i couldn't stop crying for the boy. for the almost 6 months i've known him, since me and my family have moved in next door, he was the absolute sweetest guy. i couldn't comprehend how he was a byproduct of such vile people.

it was during my first week here that i started to hear the fights. i would watch with anxiety through my window and one night i saw johnny step outside. he set up a small cot on the side of the house and slept there. other nights i would see him walk down the street and disappear.

after about a week of watching johnny do that i told him he could stay with me. i wouldn't mind and my parents never really cared to keep tabs on me. the first couple of nights he slept on the floor but i felt that it was no real upgrade from the floor outside so i told him he could sleep on the bed with me. now we were the bestest of friends and i care for him truly.

i tried my best to stop crying as i looked up at him now. his eyes were so wide with concern that it almost brought a laugh out of me. johnny cade was still so sweet and caring. i reached my hand up to his cheek and lightly brushed over it. johnny winced underneath the light touch and i got up instantly.

"y/n where are you going?" johnny whispers. i don't answer him as i open my closet pulling down a first aid kit my father always made me keep. i sat back down next to him as i pulled out the kits contents. i grabbed antibacterial wipes and a bandage. i know nothing about how to fix a busted face but i have to try.

"johnny i'm sorry for crying. how dumb of me to do that when you just went through all this," i mumble as i reach for his face. he lets me and his dark eyes look into mine as i gently clean his face. he catches my hand mid motion and hold its tenderly to his face.

"y/n don't apologize." his fingers are rubbing circles into my palm as he holds it strongly in his own warm hand, "i'm sorry you shouldn't have to see me like this."

my heart breaks even more at his words. i free myself from his grasp only to throw my hands over his shoulders, pulling myself to him in a tight embrace. my face is buried in his neck and i feel him rest his head on-top of mine. we both sit there in a comfortable silence, the only sound being our synced breathing and heart beats.

"johnny... you don't have to go back" i mumble against him. my arms are still around him, my hands tangled in his hair.

johnny sighs, his breath tickling my skin as he pulls away to look at me. a confused expression has taken over his face as he waits for me to continue.

"you can stay here johnny. i mean you have your clothes here and you stay here most nights anyways. i swear my parents wouldn't mind- i mean we wouldn't even have to tell them!"

"y/n, no. i can't ask that of you. you do too much for me already."

"johnny, i want you to stay. i couldn't bare you going back to that house. i love you too much to see you get hurt again."

johnny's eyes seem to grow in size at my words. well more specifically at the word love. suddenly a small smile plays on his lips.

"you love me, y/n?" his voice is small and unsure as he awaits my response.

"i do johnny cade. i have since that first night you stayed here." i cant help but smile as i see his cheeks fill with color.

he reaches out for me again, his hands finding their way to my cheeks as he guides his lips to mine. but before he connects them he stops short, his eyes shining with something new.

"i love you too y/n"

( cove speaks )

y'all i swear- i'm on a roll with updating rn fr‼️ applaud me hoes 😍 ANYWAYSSSS... i start my new job tomorrow kinda nervous or whateva but yk your bitch got this shit frfr 🗿 i'm hoping i stay in this updating grind so dally imagine coming later this week 👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩 guys i fr just thought about it and i've been writing imagines for the outsiders since the 6th grade and my ass is fr 8teen rn 🧍‍♀️that's crazy