nervous

"I DO NOT!" you say slapping your b/f/n as you give her an eye roll.

"oh god y/n yes you do! i saw you drooling over him in math class." she gives you a knowing look and smirks when you don't respond.

"okay! so i do like darrel, so?"

"well you should ask him to the prom y/n!"

"he doesn't even know im alive b/f/n ! so what's the point of even asking?"

she sighs, "y/n just do it okay? it's almost summer and you'll probably won't even see him anymore."

"okay i'll do it but, you're buying me lunch!"

-

you stand on the bleachers without y/b/n because she had chores to do. you watch the football team do drills and practice for tomorrows game against east high.

you spot darry as he laughs with who looks like paul on the side lines. he seems genuinely happy as he slaps paul on the back before jogging out onto the field for another play.

once practice is over you shyly make your way down the bleachers and make your way over to darry who is packing his things into his gym bag.

"hi darrel..."

he turns around and smiles warmly at you.

"oh hey y/n, what are you doing here?"

he knows your name? his other teammates look in your direction and seem to be listening into your conversation which makes you even more nervous.

"i just wanted to ask you something..."

he chuckles, "go ahead, what is it?"

you stand awkwardly and shift your weight to your other leg.

"do you want to go to prom with me?" you mumble, stepping back from him in case he says no and you have to run to avoid embarrassment.

"what time should i pick you up?" he grins.