Chapter 12;Hope

Caroline's P.O.V.-

"How long have you been awake?" I asked crossing my arms and gazing down at Stefan as he flipped through another page in the large book he read. "Six days, not that much of deal." He said, not pulling his gaze from the book. 

"Stefan,"

"Don't Caroline," He said finally looking up at me. "Loralie is in a coma, and has been for a week, and if I don't find out how to help her who will?" He asked with wide eyes. "Bonnie is looking for spells, and I'm reading, there's nothing else to do, but try."

I softened my expression and sighed, "Stefan," I sat beside him and placed a hand on his shoulder. He looked down at the book but didn't read. "Loralie is a fighter, she's going to be fine, but depriving yourself of sleep won't bring her back." I said with a concerned look.

"Go get some sleep, and I'll finish this,..glossary thing." I said looking down at the large book. 

He nodded slowly, and stood up before walking out of the living room. "And if you go into Loralie's room, be quiet, Elena is asleep in there with her. She's pretty torn up about it.." He didn't stop walking, and I gazed at him until he was out of sight, before looking down at the book and flipping to the next page.

"Virgin minds." I began to read outloud. "The innocence of a human or creature, determines their heart's status, not their physical appearance.." I narrowed my eyes.

"A polluted mind and soul can cause a virgin heart to become used and warn, while the non-virgin being can still have a virgin heart, depending on their pureness and innocence." 

I let my mouth drop open, This couldn't be true. That could only mean one thing, I looked up from the book with wide eyes. How was I going to tell everyone?

Stefan's P.O.V.-

"Where are you right now.." I mumbled softly as I grazed my hand over her soft, cold cheek. Loralie looked peaceful, just asleep. I bent down slowly and kissed her cold forehead, guilt filling me. I knelt down beside her on the floor and held her limp hand, 

"Damon might be gone, but I'm never going to leave you, Loralie." I whispered, gazing over at Elena to make sure she was still asleep.

"No matter what, " I reached into my pocket, and pulled the small case out before flipping it open. The small ring dazzled in the moonlight that slipped in through the window.

It was a ring I had once bought for Elena, but never gave to her, it was small, not that expensive, just a promise ring with a few tiny diamonds embedded into it, with the word promise engraved on the inside. I gently picked up the ring and slid the case back into my pocket.

Lifting her limp hand, I slowly slid the ring onto her finger. 

"I promise." I whispered, before slowly lifting myself up to my feet and kissing her forehead once again, before turning and leaving the room empty.

Elena's P.O.V.-

The morning came quickly, and I slowly opened my eyes to the exact same thing I saw yesterday, my sister in a coma. I sat up in the chair and sighed, "I'm sorry, Loralie." I mumbled, before standing up and walking over to her side.

I place a hand on her shoulder and stared at her closed, brown eyes. I remember when they were blue, and how they began to get darker and darker as she grew older. 

"Loralie, you need to wake up, we miss you..and it's pretty messed up without you here." I said sitting on the bed beside her.

"Elena,..Elena?" I turned towards the door and slowly stood up as Caroline entered the room with a worried look.

"What?" I whispered. "I found something," She handed me a piece of paper, "You ripped this out of the book Stefan had, didn't you?" I asked harshly. "Just read it," She said rolling her eyes. 

I began to read out loud, "The innocence of a human or creature, determines their heart's status, not their physical appearanceA polluted mind and soul can cause a virgin heart to become used and warn, while the non-virgin being can still have a virgin heart, depending on their pureness and innocence."

"So," I said shrugging. She snatched the paper back and rolled her eyes, "Don't you get it!!" She whispered harshly.

"Loralie might still be the cure!"