Chapter 13; The Mark.

Caroline's P.O.V.-

" Why do I always have to be the bearer of bad news!?" I asked in a harsh whisper as Elena shoved me down the hallway towards Stefan's room. "I don't want to go in there, he might be naked!" Elena mumbled eyeing me. "But it's okay for me to see it!" I harshly whispered back. She just widened her eyes and I sighed.

'This is why you like the young Gilbert girl better," My mind reminded me as I tip-toed down the hallway towards his room. As I reached the wooden door, I lifted my balled-up fist to knock, 

"Come in." I jumped slightly as Stefan spoke before I even knocked. I lowered my useless hand to the doorknob, and slowly pushed it open. "Stefan.?" I mumbled stepping into the dim room only lit by a small candle on his bed-side table. 

"Yeah?" He asked looking up from the book he had been writing in, diary I assume. "Uhm," I said gazing from the book to his eyes,..I hate doing this.

"Uhm, I read some of that..glossary, you were reading and it said stuff about virgin minds and innocence.." I said fading off slowly.

"Yeah, and?" He urged on. "Well," I began fiddling with my fingers, "Oh for god sakes, Loralie might still be the cure." Elena said shoving through the door. She slowly softened her expression as she saw Stefan's face, they never have been okay with one another since the break up.

"That's not possible.." He mumbled closing the book. "Well, It said a non-virgin can still have a virgin heart if she is innocent and pure.." Elena said looking over at me, which I replied with a simple nod. 

He slowly leaned forward and stood up from the bed. How had I not noticed he had no shirt on. I narrowed my eyes, spotting a small red mark on his chest. "You're saying she might still have a virgin heart,.." He Said. "Yes, meaning she still might be the cure." Elena said. 

"So, that means that.." He slowly  faded off, ripping my attention from the mark to his eyes which were narrowed as he gave me a confused look. Suddenly, his eyes grew wide and he reached up rubbing the mark awkardly and appareantally not obvious, because Elena didn't seem to notice. 

He turned quietly and grabbed his shirt from the bed and slipped it on over his head before rubbing his fingers through his hair. "Uhm, well we need to find out." He said, his voice shakey and weak. "What's wrong.." Elena asked, concerned.

Stefan's P.O.V.-

"Nothing, just worried about Loralie." I said quickly before walking around them and into the hallway. "Okay, is it just me, or does it seem like Stefan has something to hide?" Elena asked as I disappeard. "It's not just you.." I heard Caroine reply.

How could I tell them, when it was a mistake. To Loralie it was, how could I ever manage to tell them the truth, the secret I had been hiding from everyone, including Damon.

I sat on the porch until morning, staring at the different relfections on the dew of the leaves as the sun rose higher and higher. "Stefan.." I turned my head towards the front door, Elena stood in the doorway. "Can you watch Loralie for me while I take a shower..?" She asked. I nodded and stood up following her into the house. As we entered the room where Loralie was sleeping, she sighed.

"I'm sorry, I know this is hard,"

"She's your sister.." I replied. "Yeah, but with the whole Damon thing..where is he anyways?" She asked turning her back to Loralie to face me. "No one told you?" I asked. She shrugged, "He left a week ago." 

"What?" She asked harshly. "Why?" I shrugged sliding my hands into my pockets, "He said he was done with Mystic Falls.." I replied quickly. She widened her eyes. "What about Loralie!?" 

Her expression changed to worry. "What about the baby?" She asked quietly. I looked up, should I tell her? 

"He said.." I began slowly, "That he doesn't want a baby.."

"Baby..?"  

Elena's head turned quickly and I stepped to the side to gaze around her at the source of the scared yet confused question. 

She sat up on her elbows, staring at us with wide eyes that grew blurry. 

"Loralie.." Elena mumbled eyeing her sister as she looked from Elena to me. Her voice was scared yet confused as Loralie asked,

"I'm pregnant?"