Chapter Thirty four

The Knight Bus/The Leaky Cauldron
(not edited)

[Harry and Primrose kept walking until they got to an empty playground. they collapse onto the curb, panting from the effort of dragging their trunk.]

"It's not safe for them to be alone right now." says a worried Molly.

They sat quite still, anger still surging through them, listening to the frantic thumping of their heart and the rusty swings creaking.

But after a few minutes alone in the dark street, a new emotion overtook, panic. Whichever way they looked at it, they had never been in a worse fix.

The twins were stranded, quite alone, in the dark Muggle world, with absolutely nowhere to go.

"I still don't understand where I and Moony are?" Peter whispers.

They didn't have any Muggle money. There was a little wizard gold in the money bag at the bottom of Harry's trunk, but the rest of the fortune their parents had left them was stored in a vault at Gringotts Wizarding Bank in London.

A funny prickling on the back of the twins'  neck had made them feel like they were being watched, but the street appeared to be deserted, and no lights shone.

"Yeah, that's totally not creepy."

Harry bent over his trunk, but almost immediately stood up once more, his hand clenched on his wand. He had sensed rather than heard it: someone or something was standing in the bushes in front of him.

Primrose squinted at the bush. Waiting for whatever it was to move, so they'd know whether it was just a stray cat or something else.

"Lumos," Harry muttered, and a light appeared at the end of his wand, almost dazzling him. He held it high over his head, and between the bushes, Harry and primrose saw, quite distinctly, the hulking outline of something very big, with wide, gleaming eyes.

Evans snorts, "Watch it just be a dog,"

Both Harry and Primrose step backward. Harry's legs hit his trunk, and he tripped. His wand flew out of his hand as he flung out an arm to break his fall, and he landed, hard, in the gutter.

"Ouch."

There was a deafening BANG, and Primrose and Harry threw up their hands to shield their eyes against a sudden blinding light.

With a yell, Harry rolled back onto the pavement, just in time. A second later, a gigantic pair of wheels and headlights screeched to a halt exactly where Harry had just been lying.

They belonged, as Harry saw when he raised his head, to a triple-decker, violently purple bus, which had appeared out of thin air. Gold lettering over the windshield spelled The Knight Bus.

"THE KNIGHT BUS!" James shrieked, grinning.

"Wow," primrose mumbled, wide-eyed.

A conductor in a purple uniform leaped out of the bus and began to speak loudly to the night.

"Welcome to the Knight Bus, emergency transport for the stranded witch or wizard. just stick out your wand hand, step on board and we can take you anywhere you want to go. My name is Stan Shunpike, and I will be your conductor this eve —"