Chapter fifty-four

Magazines and threats

(not edited)

Dumbledore stands there, watching them.

"Curiosity is not a sin, Harry. But you should exercise caution."

Harry eyes the bowl, Primrose looks like she'd rather be anywhere else.

"It's a pensive, useful if like me you find your mind a wee bit stretched. It allows me to see what small things I've already seen. You see Harry I've searched and searched for something, some small detail. Something I might have overlooked, something that would explain why these terrible things have happened. Every time I get close to an answer it slips away, it's maddedning."

Harry looks away from the pensive, "Sir, Mr Crouch's son, what happened to him?"

"He was sent to Azkaban. Destroyed Barty to do it. But he had no choice, the evidence was overwhelming. Why do you ask?"

"Barty ended up in Azkaban?" Evan frowned,

Regulus gets a strange feeling in  stomach, Barty ends up in Azkaban, Evans dead, so what happened to him? Was he dead or all alone?

"It's just that I had a dream about him.
It was in the summer, before school.
In the dream I was in a house and Voldemort was there only he wasn't quite human, and Wormtail was there too and Mr Crouch's son."

"So it was me." Barty whispered, jaw dropped.

Dumbledore sets his wand to his temple and extracts a GLISTENING THREAD, and deposits into the Pensive.

"Why do you want to cancel the Triwizard Tournament, sir?"

Dumbledore studies the twins, as if debating something.

"You two are in danger. One more than the other. And, for the first time, I'm not sure where it's coming from. Initially, I thought it best to let things play out. But with Mr. Crouch's death..."

"When are they not in danger." Scoffed Remus

"It may be, Harry, Primrose, that these are not really dreams at all. The scar on your forehead is. after all. no ordinary mark. You and Voldemort are connected. By a curse that failed."

"You mean, what I see is actually happening?"

Dumbledore pauses, wrinkled eyes peering into the bowl, Slowly he extracts a thread, pitches it in.

"I think we've talked enough for the time being, Harry."

"But I need to know! Who put my name in the Cup? And why? And if you can't protect me, who can?"

Dumbledore says nothing for a moment, face swirling in the reflected light of the Pensive, then turns,

"I'm afraid there are no more easy answers, Harry."

"Yeah okay." Primrose snarks.

Harry simply stares, mute, then turns to exit.

"Sir. While I was..." Harry gestures to the Pensieve, "There was mention of an Auror named Frank Longbottom, And his
wife. Were they talking about Neville's parents, sir? Are they... dead?"

Frank and Alice sit up straighter, they've been wondering what happened to them ever since the beginning of the films.

"They are... beyond help...It is for Neville to decide when he feels ready to share this part of his life with others. Understood?"