Chapter Thirty Five

The Dementor

[Harry, Ron, and Hermione work their way down the full aisle, looking for an empty compartment.]

"Finally Back to Hogwarts."

"I didn't mean to blow her up. I just..." harry paused, "lost control."

"Brilliant!"

"Honestly, Ron, it's not funny. Harry's lucky he wasn't expelled." Hermione said, sharply.

"I still think it was brilliant."

Hermione shakes her head, "by the way, Harry where is Primrose?"

"With her boyfriend." Mary smirked, causing James to glare at her.

"She said something about meeting up with Riddle."

Ron made a face, "Are you sure her hanging out with him is a good idea? You know with everything that went down last year?"

"Don't know..."

Harry, Ron, and Hermione stop at the very end of the train, where there was an empty compartment.

"C'mon. We're in here."

As they slip inside, they find a man sitting fast asleep next to the window. The stranger was wearing an extremely shabby set of wizard's robes that had been darned in several places. He looked ill and exhausted. Though quite young, his light brown hair was flecked with gray.

"Hey, he looks like Moony!" James points out.

Remus looks at the screen confused, surely he couldn't be a teacher due to his condition.

The trio eyes him warily.

"Who d'you reckon he is?" Ron hissed as they sat down and slid the door shut, taking the seats farthest away from the window.

"Professor R. J. Lupin," whispered. Hermione at once.

"It is moony." Sirius finally smiles again, happy for his.....Friend.

"How d'you know that?"

"It's on his case," she replied, pointing at the luggage rack over the man's head, where there was a small, battered case held together with a large quantity of neatly knotted string.

The name Professor R. J. Lupin was stamped across one corner in peeling letters.

Snape lip curls, "Great."

"Wonder what he teaches?" said Ron, frowning at Professor Lupin.

"That's obvious," whispered Hermione. "There's only one vacancy, isn't there? Defense Against the Dark Arts."

They had already had two Defense Against the Dark Arts teachers, both of whom had lasted only one year. rumors were spread that the job was jinxed.

"well, I hope he's up to it," said Ron doubtfully. "He looks like on, good hex would finish him off, doesn't he? Anyway..."

Remus slowly blinks, low-key offended.

He turned to Harry. "What were you going to tell us?"

Harry began to explain all about what Mr. Weasley had told him and Primrose earlier.