Chapter Thirty Nine - A Hero's Funeral

After the raid on the Shie Hassaikai Compound, Morbius was taken to the infirmary to heal any injuries he sustained. When he arrived at the infirmary, Morbius's conditioned worsened as the side effects of the Trigger took it's toll on Morbius's body. As Morbius's conditioned worsened, Recovery Girl took the drastic measure to perform an emergency blood transfusion. During the transfusion, Recovery Girl quickly discovered the Trigger in Morbius's blood. As the surgery occured, Morbius found himself in a black void. 

Morbius: Where am I? What's going on?

Morbius walked through the void. Suddenly, he saw the day he first met Yaoyorozu. 

Morbius(Past): Why won't you leave me be?! Do you really wish to see the monster up close?! Why?! Why?!

Yaoyorozu(Past): It's not like that! I....I wanted to thank you.....for saving me. If it weren't for you....who knows what he would've.....

Morbius remembered that day as if it were yesterday. He remembered Yaoyorozu not being afraid of him. 

Morbius(Past): You.....wanted to thank me? You're not....scared of me....

Yaoyorozu(Past): N.....no.

Morbius(Past): Please leave me be.....

Yaoyorozu(Past): My name is Momo Yaoyorozu! What's yours? It's considered rude to not give your name when a stranger gives you theirs.

The boy was caught off guard by the quick wit of this girl. He didn't want to be rude, so he gave his name.

Morbius(Past): Morbius. Michael Morbius.

As the scene faded, Morbius continued walking through the void. Soon enough, Morbius sees the night he spoke to Yaoyorozu after revealing he intended to sacrifice himself to All For One. 

Yaoyorozu(Past): I....I can't believe you would even think of such a thing!

Morbius(Past): It wasn't an easy decision to make. Your life has more meaning than mine....

Yaoyorozu(Past): Don't you say that, Michael! Don't you ever say that! Your life has meaning! If I lost you, I.....

At that point, Yaoyorozu broke down and fell on her knees. As the others tried to console her, an immense feeling of guilt fell over Morbius.

Yaoyorozu(Past): You may not believe that your life has meaning, but I do! Your life has meaning! I love you, Michael!

As Yaoyorozu opened up about her feeling for Morbius, Morbius embraced her in a comforting hug.

Morbius(Past): Don't cry, Momo. I never want to see you cry.

Yaoyorozu(Past): Promise me that you'll always be by my side, Michael. Promise me that you'll never leave....

Morbius(Past): I will honor that promise to the best of my ability. But I will honor my promise to protect you no matter what.

Yaoyorozu(Past): That's.... that's all I can ask for, Michael Morbius.

As that scene faded, Morbius woke up. Yaoyorozu was by his side. 

Yaoyorozu: Michael!

Yaoyorozu hugged Morbius tightly. As Morbius regained his senses, he looked around his surroundings.

Morbius: Where am I?

Yaoyorozu: In the hospital. Something....something happened to you during the raid. Recovery Girl had to perform a blood transfusion.

As Morbius said this, he turned to Recovery Girl.

Morbius: Thank you, Recovery Girl. I owe you my life. 

Recovery Girl: Don't mention it, sonny. I'm just doing my job. 

With that, Morbius was healed. Though he still felt the after effects of the Trigger, it was not permanent. However, they soon hear the news that Sir Nighteye had died from injuries he sustained during the raid. A funeral service was held in his honor. Many Pro Heroes attended the services including Class 1-A. Morbius was still processing that Sir Nighteye was actually gone. Though he didn't know him very well, he respected him as a Pro Hero.

Ochaco: I...I can't believe he's gone.

Morbius: At least Sir Nighteye went out like a Hero.

Morbius glanced over to see Eri standing next to Mirio. 

Morbius: Sir Nighteye gave his life for that little girl. In his sacrifice, Sir Nighteye gave her the opportunity to live a normal life. 

Yaoyorozu: It's....it's a shame he had to pay such a high price.

As Yaoyorozu said that, Morbius took a moment to reflect on himself. He thought about the day he joined Midoriya in their attempt to save Bakugo from the League of Villains. More specifically, he thought about his plan to sacrifice himself so that Midoriya and the others would've had time to grab Bakugo and escape. Had All Might not arrived when he did, this could've been his own funeral. The thought of nearly putting Yaoyorozu putting through that deeply disheartened Morbius. Yaoyorozu could see that something was bothering him.

Yaoyorozu: Michael? Is something wrong? 

Morbius: It's...it's nothing, Momo. I'm just thinking about what Mr. Aizawa said to us on our first day at UA.

Yaoyorozu: Which is?

Morbius: The world is full of unfairness. Villain attacks, natural disasters, and so many other incidents. Our jobs is to combat the unfairness. That's just how it is. Sir Nighteye's death...

Yaoyorozu: There was nothing you or anyone could've done, Michael. You said it yourself. Sir Nighteye gave his life for that little girl. 

As Yaoyorozu said that, Morbius sighed. Though he was happy that Eri had been saved from Overhaul, it was a heavy price to pay. In that moment, Morbius felt like Peter Cushing's Van Helsing in the Horror of Dracula. Like Van Helsing, Morbius felt the burden of the great task that he had been given. But for Morbius, he knew that such an endeavor could potentially call for his sacrifice. 

Morbius: May you find peace, Sir Nighteye. 

Morbius and the others watched as All Might gave a touching speech honoring the life and legacy of Sir Nighteye. In that moment, Morbius had his first taste of the harsh realities of being a Pro Hero. But he would not let that damper his spirit or drive to become a Pro Hero.