Chapter 039

[This photo is not mine; credits to the owner🥺]

>>>Speech<<<

"You got this, I'm so proud of you." Xiaoting gushed as she shook Yeji slightly, her eyes shining in excitement. Yeji laughed slightly before helping adjust Xiaoting's hat.

Before she knew it, her eyes glistened as she suddenly got emotional. Xiaoting's eyes got teary as well as she engulfed Yeji in a hug, the girls trying not to cry so as not to ruin the makeup they had put on for the special occasion.

"We're still going to see each other super often, alright? I don't care if you have homework." Xiaoting laughed slightly as she sniffled, pulling back. Yeji nodded in agreement, pursing her lips to try and stop herself from crying.

Xiaoting sighed slightly as she tucked a hair strand behind Yeji's ear, smiling proudly. Xiaoting practically felt like Yeji's mother, having known her for so long.

She remembered the day when Yeji first broke down in front of her, spilling the beans of having run away from her abusive parents, showing a picture of her brother, and crying that she missed him.

She was there to pick Yeji up and back on her feet. She was there to push her to where she wanted to go, taught her not to let people take advantage of her, and to be strong.

Yeji was so grateful to have met her friends. They were the ones who helped guide her to the path she wanted to take but made sure she didn't overwork herself.

Sure, she kept secrets from them, but who doesn't sometimes? They taught her it's not okay to be ashamed because of their mistakes. They were in the past and she should focus on the road before her, and try to live a dignified life.

It's kind of funny, how people who were only a year older taught her all these wise things, still having so many things on their plate, with both academics and their social life. But it doesn't change the fact that the love and gratefulness she has for these people are unmatched.

"Babe-" The girls were jolted out of their thoughts at the sound of U-til's voice, who had already put on his own robe and hat. Xiaoting mentally cursed having not worn her robe yet. She wished Yeji all the best before rushing out of the room.

U-til looked over at Yeji, who looked to the ground as she smiled slightly. His eyes softened as he approached her, offering a quick hug before caressing her hair.

"You did well, kiddo." Yeji grinned as she nodded her head, staring at her fingers. "Thanks to you too. Don't forget me...okay?" Yeji smiled, playfully warning U-til. He smirked before shaking his head, assuring her they won't before walking out of the room.

Yeji was left to her own thoughts as she looked around the dressing room which was empty, for all graduates were about to walk up the stage to receive their diplomas. Yeonjun and her family have seated in the auditorium already, Yeji only giving her speech at the end.