Chapter 2: Azu, The Sheikah Master

“Azu?” I called as I sauntered into the large coliseum that resided just North of the Great Plateau. My feet clicked against the paved stone bricks, the sound being quickly muffled by the moss that had carpeted the inside for ages. Father always says he wanted to get it cleaned up and rebuilt, but I was still waiting for him to have it done. “Azuuuu?”

I heard a sound behind me, and I quickly swiveled around to see what it was. Nothing was there. I kept looking around, trying to figure out where he could have possibly been hiding in the ruins. And as I was looking, I started to walk backwards, only paying attention now to the front entrance. Perhaps he was hiding outside? Well, that question of mine was quickly answered as I backed up a little too far and walked right into him.

“Ahh!” I turned as I jumped, falling backwards onto the ground now as I could hear the laughter coming from the Sheikah boy. “Azu!” He waved his hand about, brushing off his little prank before he poofed away again, appearing this time behind me to lift me up off the ground. “Might I remind you that it is an offense, perhaps even a crime to scare the princess of Hyrule like that?”

“Are you sure it’s a crime, Ida?” He folded his arms, tilting his head while he waited for me to brush the dirt off myself and grab my bag before I dragged him with me to the bench off to the side of the huge arena.

“No, but it certainly is mean.” I huffed as I set my things down and unzipped my bag so I could rummage through it and find my gloves, but while I was busy doing that, Azu decided to grab my sword from it’s scabbard and disappear. “Hey! Give that back!” He appeared sitting on the edge of one of the rings that were built above the main floor, sliding his finger down the edge of the blade.

“This is a nice sword you’ve got here,” He remarked as he then gripped the hilt a bit tighter to get a feel for it. “Though it seems you still haven’t taken my advice and gotten yourself an obsidian sword. Isn’t your boyfriend’s grandfather a talented blacksmith?”

“Well, yes, he is, but- hey, what if I just told you that it was an obsidian blade?”

“Then I know you’d be trying to gaslight me. I’m blind, Idalia, not stupid.” He leaped off the edge, landing somewhat gracefully on the ground before standing, continuing to examine the weapon with his hands. I ran over to him, swinging my arm out to try and grab it from him, but he disappeared again, causing me to nearly trip and fall over.

“What if I told you I wouldn’t know what an obsidian blade feels like compared to steel? If I didn’t look and had to guess?” I asked, searching around to see where he went. “Would you say I was stupid?” He popped up on one of the higher rings, stepping along the rim as he swung my sword around a bit.

“No, however I would feel bad for you due to the knowledge you lack in terms of forgery,” He shrugged, throwing my sword down to me. I ducked and allowed it to fly over my head and land on the ground, and once I heard it land, I rushed over to try and get it. But just as I was about to grab it, he appeared again in front of me and lifted it off the ground. “You’re knowledge in this subject should be a little more extended, princess.” He raised the sword, holding it with both hands. “Let’s put that to the test, shall we?”

He hurled it at me, forcing me to roll out of it’s path, and then let the weight of it spin him once around, giving me time to grab my shield to deflect his next attack. I managed to parry enough to push him back, and he swiftly leaped over me and continued his assault on my other side. I blocked his swing, kicking my foot out to try to knock him down. He fell but managed to roll forward and keep his momentum, giving another good swing that I had to duck.

He kept up his attacks, throwing one after another at me as I was barely managing to defend myself each time. He put plenty of scratches on my shield, I’m sure, but fortunately it was only a practice shield. My nicer one was at home, mounted on a wall in my bedroom.