Chapter 22: Path to Kakariko

The gentle breeze flowed through my hair, blowing it towards the south, and I pushed it off of my shoulder to keep the little strands it out of my face. I could hear Ellet crunching on an apple as we strolled along the path by the Blatchery Plain, and I looked out at the countless guardians that were in ruins across the field.

"Mm mm mmm! These apples are delicious!" He took another bite before throwing the apple up in the air, catching it right back in his hand. "Want an apple, Idalia?"

"I'm not hungry." I huffed, turning away from him as I continued walking. He tilted his head and frowned a bit as I denied his offer, but then he continued eating it, looking out at the path ahead.

"You know," He started as he leaned closer to me, pushing his messy, tawny colored hair out of his face. "You've been awful quiet this whole walk so far. You doin' okay?"

"Oh, yes, I'm doing fabulously. My mother and father are both trapped in the castle holding down Elric and Ganon while I'm supposed to figure out how to save them by myself. Oh, and did I mention that the champions could've been killed by now?" I hissed, and he went quiet for a few moments. I looked back out at the field and sighed. This was the time where I needed Azu.

"What are your parents like?" He finally broke the silence, and I glanced back at his face, now drawn with curiosity.

"Well," I managed to begin, a bit surprised at his question. "My mother is wonderful. She loves researching, of all kinds. But especially the Sheikah technology. It fascinates her." I smiled a bit, some of my earliest memories were spent with my mother on her research excursions. "She's kind, smart, and has always been my biggest role model, really."

"What about your father?"

"My father's the greatest warrior Hyrule has ever seen. He's strong and courageous, and he'd do anything to keep our kingdom safe. All he's ever wanted was to protect my mother and I, but... I always wondered from what. And now I guess I know."

It was true. I knew father always wanted to protect me but I never truly knew what he was protecting me from. I never really questioned it until now.

"That's... probably why they didn't tell me. They wanted to keep me safe from the Yiga Clan and Elric." The more I thought about, the more it made sense. "They didn't want me to go through what they had to. All of the war and worries and stuff. And here I am, getting angry at them for it."

"You have a right to be upset. I'd be upset too if I was in your position." He related. "I can see where your parents were coming from though. You said they lied about your whole life right?" I nodded. "It's a situation where their hearts were in the right place, but they weren't thinking about everything that would come with their decision."

"I suppose you're right." I remarked, eyes meeting with his again. "Thanks, Ellet." I smiled a bit, and he did too and nodded. "I'll have to apologize to them when we save them. If we're able to get to them in time."

"We will. I promise." He placed his hand on my shoulder, a reassuring smile still on his face. His eyes looked away from mine for a moment, and his smile quickly dropped and he gasped. "DUCK!" He grabbed my arm and pulled me down with him as we fell, and I heard a blast shoot into the rocks that were besides us.

We both looked to the left and saw a decayed guardian aiming a laser at us, and he quickly helped me up and led me behind a short cobblestone wall so the guardians couldn't see us.

"What are we gonna do? How are we supposed to get past them?" I asked, and he pondered for a moment before grinning again and snapping his fingers.

"Take my sword. I'll distract the guardians while you get some hits on them with this." He handed me his broadsword, and I took it in one hand, the Master sword still in the other. "I can hold your dad's sword while you attack." I was hesitant, but I handed it over to him. "I promise I'll be careful with it. You ready?"