Chapter 59: A Love to Fear

"I will not sit here and take this from you while my wife and daughter are in danger!" Link hissed as he pulled on his restraints that bound him to the wall, and Sooga was quiet as he stood on the other side of the room shining his swords. "At least tell me where you have them, please."

"I don't know where they are, I only took you." The man shrugged, and the king he had captured didn't take this easily.

"You would hate it if your sister and nephew were captured by us instead." Link spoke quieter this time, and Sooga still didn't turn around as he kept working on his weapons, but he did finally look up at the wall as he listened. "Wouldn't you? You'd want to know where they were. If they were alive. You would be just as upset as I am."

"Yes. I probably would." Sooga pondered, lightning Link up a bit with his sincerity. "But taking one look at our current situation, I don't believe I'll ever have to worry about that happening." He poured a few drops of a special polish and began using a cloth to rub it up and down his silver blade, ignoring the sudden rush of insults that the king spouted at him.

But it didn't take too long for him to get fed up with it.

"Alright, listen, I understand you're angry with me, but calling me names and begging me to tell you anything isn't going to do much for you right now." He silenced Link, and the hylian slumped against the wall and looked away. "And since we've had some trouble keeping you people chained up, I'm going to stay here to supervise you until we decide what we're going to do with you." Link sighed, and quietly, Sooga did too. He didn't really want to be a babysitter, but he wanted to make sure they wouldn't screw up this time.

~~~~

"I think that's everyone!" Melanie brushed her hands against each other as she looked down the long hallway behind us, and everyone who was captive got escorted out by the Hyrulean army. Fortunately, they had showed up just in time to help us deal with Sammy and Ulia, so they were easily taken care of. Now held prisoner by us instead. "Okay, what's the next step?"

"Well, we need to make sure everyone gets out safely. But," I let my mind wander back to the fight that was happening when the pair of us ran away, and I began to worry. "I think we should also try to find out where everyone else is. I hope they got out of there safely."

"Why don't you go find them?" Melanie suggested. "I'll continue to help escort everyone out and make sure they get through safely, and you can go find the royal family." I considered her idea, and while I was worried about having to travel alone through the halls, I decided it was likely our best option.

"Alright, then if that's what we're going to do, I better get moving. Even if they aren't there anymore, I could catch their trail while it's fresh." We both nodded to each other, and then we rushed through the crowd so I could keep moving forward and so Melanie could lead them all to safety.

~~~~

"Fifty eight, fifty nine, sixty, sixty one..." Link was quietly counting, and Sooga didn't say anything to him until this point when he finally got annoyed.

"What are you doing?" He asked, and Link could tell he was irritated. "You've been counting for a whole minute, are you just that bored?"

"Well, it's kind of hard to not be bored when I'm chained to a wall in a dark room with some old grouch assigned to watching me, make sure I don't escape." He huffed, and Sooga rolled his eyes and continued to fiddle with the tools he was using to write out a new scheme for his sister to follow. "Sixty two, sixty three, sixty four, sixty five, sixty six, sixty seven..."

"Would you stop that?" Sooga glanced back at the king for the first time in a while, and Link thinned his lips and nodded. The Yiga leader went back to writing out his scheme, drawing an outline of what he initially wanted to happen.