Chapter 8: Royal Family of Old

"We're here." Link said as he pulled Epona's reins, halting her trot once they reached the South Akkala Stable. He slid off her saddle and patted her mane before letting the stable owners take her to get fed and given water. He helped Zelda off of hers and her horse was taken as well, and she walked with Link inside as the carriage was unloaded with theirs and their guard's things. "This is bigger than I remember it being."

After getting everything settled, the chef started making dinner, and everyone sat outside setting up camp for the night while Link and Zelda sat at the campfire resting a bit from the trip. They had only been sitting a few minutes, both hungry and already exhausted.

"I hope Idalia made it off safely." Link breathed, watching as the bright orange flames danced around, the reflection if the light flickering in his light blue eyes.

"I'm sure she did." Zelda reassured him, rubbing up and down his arm a bit. She noticed the look of worry weaved into his already tired expression, and she gave him a soft smile. "Idalia's going to be okay, Link. She'll be much safer there than she would be staying here with us during this time."

"I know, but," He looked out at the castle, his mind flashing back to the monstrosity that surrounded it and sent Hyrule into a depression. "If we really do go through with your plan, what am I supposed to tell Idalia when she gets home? That you also died in a 'tragic accident'? How many more people am I going to have to lie to her about?" He hissed, and while she was taken back a bit, she moved her hand to his back.

"You're going to have to tell her the truth." She whispered, and Link's eyes went wide before he let a scoff leave his throat.

"Tell her the truth, she says, after a decade of hiding everything. I'm sure that will go down wonderfully." He placed his head in his hands and let out a groan, to which Zelda retracted her hand and her soft expression deepened into near frustration.

"You say it as if it's all my fault." She glared down at him as he pulled his head back up and looked at her, rested his chin on his hands now. "Am I to blame for everything we've told her?"

"Of course not, but in my defense it was your idea. Before the Battle of Karusa, before you were nearly killed by Elric, I had always assumed if Ganon ever returned in this lifetime, we'd have let Idalia grow up under a healthy influence of the triforce, and she'd awaken it and seal him again. But ever since that battle, I went with your plan with hopes he wouldn't come back."

"Well, he's coming back and we have to go through with this. Neither of us wanted it to come to this but it's for Hyrule." She told him, and he only looked away and cursed himself for agreeing. In the moment, he was just happy his wife and daughter were safe. But now... he had a ten year old lie living in between him and their child.

"Let's say you do hold down Ganon for another ten millenia. When he gets released again, what's to come for the next generation he tries to destroy? If Idalia doesn't carry the triforce, and her children don't, and so on, who will seal him then?"

"We'll let the Sheikah carry down the knowledge of the Triforce, and when the time comes, they will give it back to our family." She explained, and Link sighed and hesitantly nodded. "I just... I don't want to burden Idalia the same way I was when I was her age."

"She wouldn't have been burdened because she has her mother, her teacher still here. We wouldn't be putting it upon her forcefully the way your father-"

"My father didn't mean any harm. He was doing his best." Zelda whispered, and Link glanced up at her again, surprised with what she was saying. "It isn't his fault I lost my mother. It isn't anyone's fault but the Yiga Clan."

"In that sense, Idalia will have to share your pain." Link said, directing her to look at him, his hand on her cheek. "You're going to give yourself up. And if I am supposed to tell the truth once you do, she'll likely resent me the rest of her life."