Chapter 24: The New Heroes

"So you kids have been traveling together," My father started as the four of us walked along the path on the rim of Hyrule Field, watching as Azu and I scanned over the river to see if we could spot any fish. "For how long now? I may have lost track of the time when I got trapped."

"Only a week, I think." I told him, my eyes still on the river. "I went to Hateno and met Ellet, and he wanted to come with me. Then we went to Kakariko to find Azu, and then we went to the Great Hyrule Forest and found you." I turned to him, and a soft smile came to his lips. "After we go to the Shrine of Resurrection, what then?"

"Well, we still may have to find the chosen one. Unless it happens to be one of you three," His eyes bounced between all three of us, and we laughed a bit at the idea of that being the case. "But once we get the sword revived, I'm not sure. We have to find out what happened to the Champions as well. So the villages may be our next destinations."

"And then after that?" I pursed my lips as I looked up at him, his face going from calm to worry in less than a moment.

"We get to the castle and save your mother." He averted my gaze, glancing at the castle that was now bubbled by golden power, destruction and chaos visible inside of it.

"If she hasn't already sacrificed herself."

My father turned his head away from me, his hands balling into fists. I let my eyes fall to the sand that crunched beneath my feet with every step I took. I knew he didn't want to admit what their plan had been but I knew that he knew that I already knew.

"Idalia, I... I'm sorry we never got a chance to tell you." He pushed his hair away from his face, finally facing ahead again.

"I just want to know what you would have said to me once she was gone."

"I would have only been forced to tell you the truth."

"The truth? You mean the entire truth of the events of over half a century?" I looked back up at him, my eyes narrowed and angered. "How would I be expected to take in all that information and live the rest of my life thinking it was my fault she died?"

"It would never be your fault and I would make sure you never thought it for a moment," He breathed, closing his eyes. "Even if you resented me the rest of your life for it."

We were both silent for a few moments, but I decided now would be a better time than any to ask more questions. Questions I wasn't able to previously get answers to because of Elric's sudden appearance.

"What were my grandparents like?" I asked, and he looked back at me, his face settling back to a sad, but calm look. "On both sides."

"Well, Dali, I'm afraid the only one of your grandparents I can tell you about is your mom's father. And I can't even say much about him." He shrugged, folding is arms at his chest. "I don't remember my parents, and I was told they both died when I was only a toddler. I never met your mom's mother, though I apparently did know your Grandfather Rhoam before, but... since my memories were lost, I have limited recollection of what he was like."

"What about the rest of our family? Do you remember anyone else?"

"The only other family member you have that I can tell you about is _____. She was your mom's aunt." He seemed to go quiet at the end, and I had remembered my reading. That she had saved him and mother in the Calamity's final battle. So, I understood that I was reaching delicate grounds here. But I had to know.

"Aha!" I heard Azu exclaim as he leaped into the water with a splash nearly big enough to reach me, and seconds later, he held his hand up to reveal the Hearty Bass he had caught. He swam back to the shore, and Ellet rushed over and we helped him up. "I caught lunch!"