005. tragedy strikes

Dean drives the Impala while Sam finds the coordinates John left on a map. Natalie is leaning over the front seat, holding the flashlight so he can see.

"Okay, here's where dad went. It's called Blackwater Ridge, Colorado." Sam informs.

"Sounds charming. How far?" Dean asks.

"About six hundred miles." Sam says.

"Hey, if we shag ass we could make it by morning." Dean says.

"Dean, I, um..." Sam starts.

"You're not going." Dean realizes.

"Neither am I." Natalie states.

"The interview's in, like, ten hours. I gotta be there." Sam says.

"I just wanna go back to my comfortable apartment and boyfriend." Natalie states.

"Yeah. Yeah, whatever." Dean nods. "I'll take you guys home."

Natalie turns the flashlight off, the twins sharing an awkward look.

~ ~ ~

Dean pulls up to Sam's apartment building. Sam gets out and gets his bag, leaning down to look at Dean through the window.

"Call me if you find him?" Sam asks and Dean nods. "And maybe I can meet up with you later, huh?"

"Yeah, all right." Dean says.

"And I will see you later." Sam tells his sister who gives him a salute. Sam pats the car twice before starting to walk away.

"Sam?" Dean calls making him turn back. "You know, we made a hell of a team back there." He says, glancing between the two.

"Yeah." Sam agrees.

"Sure." Natalie says. She climbs over the front seat, sitting in the passenger seat.

"Wha-- Natalie!" Dean whines. "Feet off the seat!"

"Just take me home" Natalie tells him.

"Wh-- this car is a member of our family. You treat it with respect." Dean says.

"It's a car, dude." Natalie retorts, Dean letting out a sharp gasp. "Oh, my God." She groans, resting her head in her hand.

"How dare you." Dean says, offended.

"Okay... I'm sorry that I hurt your precious child. Now, can you please take me home?" Natalie asks.

"You're being sarcastic." Dean says.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Was I supposed to be more obvious about it?" She asks.

Dean rolls his eyes, grumbling curses under his breath, as he drives off.

They're halfway to Natalie's home when the radio goes to static.

"Um... does that usually happen?" Natalie asks.

"No." Dean mumbles. He looks at his watch, seeing it stopped. "Shit." He whispers.

"Wha--" Natalie can't finish her question as Dean makes a sharp U-turn. He speeds back to the apartment, the two quickly getting out and racing inside and up to Sam and Jess' place.

Dean kicks the front door open.

"Sam!" Dean shouts.

"Jess!" They hear Sam scream from the bedroom.

They run into the bedroom, stopping short. Natalie's eyes widen, her jaw dropping, at the sight of her best friend on the ceiling, encased by fire.

"No! No!" Sam shouts, staring up at the ceiling.