014. shapeshifter

Natalie is sitting in the backseat of the Impala and eating Twizzlers while she leans over the front seat, reading Sam's emails with him that he has open on his phone. Dean is standing outside, waiting for the gas to be full.

"Could you maybe not breathe down my neck?" Sam questions, turning his head to look at his sister.

"Could you maybe not keep secrets?" She retorts, biting into her piece of candy. Sam rolls his eyes, turning back to his phone.

"Alright, I figure we'd hit Tucumcari by lunch, then head south, hit Bisbee by midnight." Dean says. Natalie waves him off as Sam shows no response. "Sam wears women's underwear."

"I've been listenin', I'm just busy." Sam says.

"Busy doin' what?" Dean asks.

"Reading emails." Sam says.

"Emails from who?" Dean asks.

"From my friends at Stanford." Sam says.

"You're kidding. You still keep in touch with your college buddies?" Dean asks.

"Why not?" Sam shrugs.

"Well, what exactly do you tell them? You know, about where you've been, what you've been doin'?"

"I tell 'em Natty and I are on a road trip with our big brother. I tell 'em we both needed some time after Jess and Noah."

"Oh, so you lie to 'em."

"No. I just don't tell them... everything."

"yeah, that's called lying. I mean, hey, man, I get it, tellin' the truth is far worse."

"So, what am I supposed to do, just cut everybody out of my life?" Sam asks and Dean shrugs. "You're serious?"

"Look, it sucks, but in a job like this, you can't get close to people, period." Dean says.

"You're kind of anti-social, you know that?" Sam asks.

"Maybe if you had friends, you wouldn't be so annoying." Natalie comments, earning a bitch face from Dean.

"God..." Sam mutters, reading an email. Natalie looks at his phone, leaning closer to see what it's about, her eyes widening.

"What?" Dean asks.

"In this email from this girl, Rebecca Warren, one of those friends of mine." Sam says.

"Is she hot?" Dean asks.

"I went to school with her and her brother, Zack. She says Zack's been charged with murder. He's been arrested for killing his girlfriend. Rebecca says he didn't do it, but it sounds like the cops have a pretty good case." Sam says.

"Dude, what kind of people are you two hangin' out with?" Dean asks.

"No, man, I know Zack. He's no killer." Sam says.

"I second that." Natalie agrees.

"Well, maybe you two know Zack as well as he knows you." Dean says.

"They're in St. Louis. We're goin'." Sam states.

"Look, sorry 'bout your buddy, okay? But this does not sound like our kind of problem." Dean says.

"It is our problem. They're my friends." Sam says.

"St. Louis is 400 miles behind us, Sam." Dean looks in the car, both twins giving him puppy dog eyes. "Fine." He grumbles.

+++

They get to Rebecca's house and knock on the door, her soon answering.

"Oh, my God, Sam!" She exclaims, seeing him. "Natalie!"