038. the harvelle family

It's been one week since they gave John a hunter's sendoff. Natalie is in much better shape than her brothers, but even then she's still going through her own emotions.

A mug is placed in front of her on the table, Natalie looking to see hot chocolate in it. She looks up to see Bobby having placed it in front of her, a gentle smile on his face.

"Something's on your mind, kid." Bobby states. He sits across from her, a beer in hand.

"What, I don't get alcohol?" Natalie asks.

"I know you prefer hot chocolate over everything else." Bobby says. "Especially when you're lost in that head of yours."

"Thanks." She mumbles, carefully taking a sip of the hot drink.

"So... what is it?" Bobby questions.

"I don't know, just... whatever brought me back... or whoever. And why." Natalie says.

"We'll figure it out. Or maybe it really is some sort of freak miracle." Bobby suggests.

"When is it ever just some sort of freak miracle, though?" Natalie asks.

"Touché." Bobby says. "What else is buggin' ya?"

"Dad." Natalie mumbles.

"Oh." Bobby mutters. "I figured you woulda been celebrating." He comments making Natalie chuckle.

"Yeah, so did I." She says. "I don't know, it... it's weird... and confusing. I mean, I... he hated me... or was at least just a super shitty father. And... and part of me still feels sad. I mean, even if he hurt me, I-- I still grew up with him in my life. And... I don't know if I actually care or if it's something."

"And... and now that he's dead, part of me feels like I should forgive him for everything. Even though I would never do that with him alive." Natalie says.

"Honey." Bobby calls, getting her attention. "It's okay to be a little confused. You cared about him when you were a little kid -- before his behavior went to shit. Before all the God awful things he did. And, yeah, even though you didn't like him, you still grew up around him. You know he ain't gonna be there anymore to torture ya. Part of it feels weird knowing you don't have to worry about him anymore."

"And I'm sure some of that is just you worrying for your brothers. They looked up to him more than you ever did, especially Dean. Even if they aren't fans of him now, it still took them a bit longer to get over it. I'm sure it's plenty confusing for them too."

"But you know this... you are in no way required to forgive your abuser." Bobby tells her. "After all the shit he pulled with you, there is no reason for you to make it water under the bridge just cause he died on ya. You understand me?"

"I understand." Natalie nods.

"Good." Bobby nods once, taking a sip of his beer.

+++

Sam found a voicemail from a woman on one of John's phones about her being able to help with something. They pull up to Roadhouse Saloon, all getting out of the van.

"This is humiliating. I feel like a fucking soccer mom." Dean complains.

"It's the only car Bobby had running." Sam says.

"It's a good look for you, Dean." Natalie teases, earning an eye roll from her brother.

"Hello? Anybody here?" Sam calls as they look around the deserted parking lot.

"Hey. You bring the, uh..." Dean asks.

"Of course." Sam tosses him the object. They go inside, the place silent aside from some flies buzzing. They find a man passed out a pool table.