007. captured

It's nighttime and they built a fire to keep warm and Dean finishes up drawing a symbol in the dirt.

Natalie is sitting next to Sam on a log and playing with her rings.

"You wanna talk?" Natalie asks.

"No." Sam answers. Natalie gives a small nod, looking down. "Do you?" He asks, noticing her reaction.

"I don't know." She sighs, placing her chin in her hand.

"One more time, that's--"

"Anasazi symbols." Dean tells Haley. "It's for protection. The wendigo can't cross over them." Roy laughs. "Nobody likes a skeptic, Roy." He gets up and sits on the other side of Sam.

"You wanna tell me what's going on in that freaky head of yours?" Dean asks his brother.

"Dean--" Sam starts.

"No, you're not fine. Neither of you fine. But, you, man, you're like a powder keg. It's not like you. I'm supposed to be the belligerent one, remember?" Dean says.

"Dad's not here. I mean, that much we know for sure, right? He would have left us a message, a sign, right?" Sam asks.

"Yeah, you're probably right. Tell you the truth, I don't think dad's ever been to Lost Creek." Dean says.

"Then let's get these people back to town and let's hit the road. Go find dad. I mean, why are we still even here?" Sam asks.

"This is why." Dean sits across from them, holding up John's journal. "This book. This is dad's single, most valuable possession -- everything he knows about every evil thing is in here. And he's passed it on to us. I think he wants us to pick up where he left off. You know, saving people, hunting things. The family business."

"That makes no sense. Why doesn't he just-- call us? Why doesn't he tell us what he wants, tell us where he is?" Sam asks.

"I dunno. But the way I see it, dad's giving us a job to do, and I intend to do it." Dean says.

"Dean... no. I gotta find dad. I gotta find Jessica's killer. It's the only thing I can think about." Sam says.

"Okay, all right, Sam, we'll find them, I promise. Listen to me. You've gotta prepare yourself. I mean, this search could take a while, and all that anger, you can't keep it burning over the long haul. It's gonna kill you. You gotta have patience, man."

"How do you do it? How does dad do it?" Sam asks.

"Well, for one, them." Dean says, the three looking over at Haley and Ben. "I mean, I figure our family's so screwed to hell, maybe we can help some others. Makes things a little bit more bearable." He explains.

"I'll tell you what else helps." Dean says, getting the twins' attention. "Killing as many evil sons of bitches as I possibly can." His comments gets a smile from both of his siblings.

They hear a twig snap.

"Help me! Please!" The same voice from earlier calls out. "Help!"

"He's trying to draw us out. Just stay cool, stay put." Dean says.

"Inside the magic circle?" Roy remarks.

"Help! Help me!" The voice screams and they hear growling.

"Okay, that's no grizzly." Roy says.

Something rushes by making Haley shriek.

"It's here." Sam states.

Roy shoots at the rustling, shooting again.

"I hit it!" Roy rushes off to see what he hit.

"Roy, no! Roy!" Dean yells. "Don't move." He tells Ben and Haley, the three Winchesters running after Roy.