071. back from the dead

Natalie pants for air as she wakes up. She reaches up, being greeted by a wood ceiling. She hits it, dirt falling down.

"Help!" She tries to call, but her voice is extremely hoarse. "Help." She hits the wood ceiling, it breaking and dirt falls onto her.

Natalie tries to make her way through the dirt, not even sure if she's getting anywhere. She also isn't sure if she's not breathing due to knowing not to since she's in dirt or because she's about to have a panic attack.

Natalie digs through more dirt, feeling her right hand get free, letting her know she's close. After a few moments, Natalie feels a hand grab hers and tries to pull her up. She starts to panic more, but figures she'll just either die again or fight the person.

The person slowly manages to yank Natalie out, putting her on the ground. Natalie coughs, finally able to breath fresh air again.

"Hey. Hey, hey, hey." Natalie looks over, seeing Dean. "Hey." His hoarse voice greets. Natalie lets out a breath of relief at seeing it's just her brother.

Natalie fights all of her tiredness, managing to sit up. She hugs Dean as tight as she can, him returning it. Dean strokes her hair, brushing some of the dirt out of it.

Both have tears in their eyes, but don't cry.

After a few moments, they pull away, Dean brushing some of the dirt off the top of Natalie's head.

"You stink." She says.

"Yeah, right back at you." Dean croaks out making her smile a little. "C'mon." Dean stands up and he helps Natalie up. Natalie looks around, seeing the circle of dead trees that are lying on the ground.

"What, uh... what...?" She motions to the threes.

"I don't know." Dean says.

~ ~ ~

Natalie isn't sure how long they've been walking when they finally find a small gas station. They walk up and Dean knocks on the door, the closed sign showing.

"Hello?" He hoarsely calls. Dean unwraps his button up from around his waist and wraps it around his hand. Dean breaks one of the glass windows on the door, reaching in and unlocking the door.

The two siblings walk in and go to the fridge, each getting a water. Natalie quickly unscrews the cap, chugging the water until it's mostly empty, Dean doing the same.

"I have never loved water more." Natalie says, taking a few more sips. Dean nods in agreement before walking over and grabbing a newspaper.

"September." He says.

"What? We were dead for four months?" Natalie asks. Dean shows her the newspaper, Natalie looking at the date.

Dean goes over to the sink and puts his button up on the edge of the sink. He turns the water on, washing his face and hands. He turns the water off and stands back up. He pulls his shirt up to show his chest, not a single scar on his chest.

Natalie walks around and finds snacks, immediately eating whatever looks interesting. Dean pulls his short sleeve up on his left arm, a handprint just below his shoulder, looking like it's burned on there.

"Hey." Dean calls, Natalie looking up at him with a granola bar sticking out of her mouth while she opens a pack of Goldfish. Dean walks over and lifts her left sleeve, not finding anything. He lifts her right sleeve, finding the same handprint.

"What the hell?" Dean mutters.

"What?" Natalie asks, the granola bar still in her mouth. She looks at her arm, seeing the handprint. "What the fuck?" She takes the granola bar out of her mouth and walks over to the sink, looking in the mirror and studying the handprint.