Chapter 18

Lisa's POV

"Lisa, you up!?" Jennie yelled from downstairs.

I came around the corner and walked slowly down the stairs with one of my crutches. I had been getting pretty good at walking now with just one of them. It wouldn't be long now before I could go in for my check up.

"Hi, Jennie. I'm up, but just barely. I overslept a bit.I guess some of the alcohol from last night affected memore than I realized," I said as I walked toward her. "Actually I'm surprised you're feeling okay since you drank more than me last night."

Jennie smiled at me as she helped me over to the couch. "Well I hada little headache this morning but other than feeling tired myself, I feel pretty good."

"So, how did it go at the clinic today? I bet it feels a bit weirdgetting back into the work scene again, having the past week or sooff."

"It went really well so far, though I do have tohead back there in an hour. So how have you been doing? Will yoube okay here again this afternoon by yourself?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine. I hope you know how much I do appreciateyou helping me these past few weeks, not only at the hospital but the last few days here and all. I don't know how I could have everdone any of it by myself."

"Well, I'm more than happy to have helped. Besides, it has given me a chance to get to know you better and to have founda wonderful friend in you."

Friend? I thought to myself. It seems that you are forgettinga few minor things that have happened. I shook thosethoughts from my mind.

"Yes, Jennie, you are a good friend," I turned smiling at her as Isqueezed her hand for emphasis.

Jennie cleared her throat and pulled her hand away a little nervous.

"So Lisa, what do you feel like having for lunch?"

"Well, since you have to go back to work soon, don't worry about anything really, okay?"

Jennie walked over to the phone and started to dial a number.

"What type of pizza do you like?" She said as she looked over at me.

"Any kind Jennie, whatever you like will be fine with me."

So Jennie ordered a pizza, and came back to the couch and we had a little chat on general things about the day while we waited for the pizza to arrive.

We definitely avoided any subject on the previous night's events. But I was glad for that.

I guess she wants to be friends, and maybe it's best that way anyway.

The pizza arrived and we ate quickly as Jennie had to go. After eating Jennie cleared the table of our pizza mess, and came back to the couch.

"Well, I better get back to the clinic, are you sure you'll be okay here for the rest of the afternoon?"

"Jen, it's only for a few more hours and believe me I think I can manage," I said smiling. "Besides I'm feeling so much better lately that I'll be out of your hands in no time at all."

"Well, okay, but call me if anything happens. I took out a roast for dinner tonight to thaw out for us, that is, if that's alright with you?"

"That's fine. I wish you didn't feel the need to cook and do so much for me. One of these days I'll have to cook for you."

"It's really not a bother. In fact, I've really liked having you around to do things for. I think I'll miss you when you leave. I'm getting used to having you around, you know?"