Six

CHAPTER SIX
THE RULES OF SELINA
SAVANNAH, GEORGIA

"People are loving your song!" My manager, Tai told me, on the phone

"People are loving your song!" My manager, Tai told me, on the phone. My label released Recipe of Hate  last Friday and so far, it's been a hit. I've gained over 20,000 followers on my Instagram and the song has 501,819 streams on Spotify. I can't believe my life has turned into something so insane. It seemed like just yesterday, I was afraid to speak to someone other than my parents. Now, I'm singing for the entire world.

"Selina Maxwell is Beyoncé in the making," She read off twitter. People were crazy to overestimate me. "Selina Maxwell is a name I've never heard but after that performance, I'll be her biggest stan. Is she making an album and when is it coming?"

"When is it coming?" I asked, a small smile resting on my lips. "You need to focus on your album. I will focus on all those details with the label," I nodded, and granted her a genuine smile, even though she couldn't see me. "I love you. You're a sick manager,"

"I try to be. Now, stop smoking weed. I can practically smell it through the phone," She said before ending the phone call. I rolled my eyes and took another puff of my blunt, leaning my head back.

Over the past week, I've had interviews and magazines cover photo shoots. My first concert is in a couple of weeks and I'm terrified. All of the tickets are sold out and 3,000 people are coming to see my voice. My dreams were coming true, and I couldn't be more excited for the future.

But for some reason, I couldn't stop thinking about that fucking man. Ricardo was hot as fuck, and that body—shit. It was enough to make me collapse. But when he opened that mouth, I wanted to jump off a cliff. He was just so grumpy and mean.

I discarded my blunt and walked back inside. The Maxwell Galas were the biggest parties in Savannah. Whenever my father hosted a Gala, the wealthiest of the wealthiest all gathered at the manor. Today, was my Graduation Gala, and over 400 people were here, dancing and talking amongst themselves in the foyer. I felt my nerves dancing. All of these people, coming to celebrate me.

Suddenly, my mother walked through the crowd and pulled me aside. "Hey honey, Mimi Rose Prescott is delighted to see you again,"

"Does she remember when I nearly crashed into her?" I said, my eyes traveling around the busy Gala. People danced to the live jazz music produced by the band and enjoyed glasses of champagne while talking amongst themselves. I adjusted my dress, a sigh escaping my lips. My mother helped pick my outfit, she said that my body is something I should be proud of and show off.

 My mother helped pick my outfit, she said that my body is something I should be proud of and show off