Eight

CHAPTER EIGHT
THE RULES OF SELINA
SAVANNAH, GEORGIA

I sat at the grand piano in the formal living room, my fingers pressing different notes as the staff cleaned around me

I sat at the grand piano in the formal living room, my fingers pressing different notes as the staff cleaned around me. "I'm at your mercy but tell me would you come if I rang your line? You picked me up to throw me against the wall, yet you're still on my mind,"

"I didn't know I was replaceable but here you are with your new valentine,"

"When you touched my skin, I knew you felt my heart rate. But us together is my Recipe of Hate,"

"Ever since you changed, we don't have fun these days. And this used to be our world but look what you've done,"

"When you stopped loving me, I believed it just was a phrase. I guess when the lights went out, it meant you're my Recipe of Hate," I hit the last note, and took a deep breath. After closing my eyes, I released a sigh before shrugging. "It's okay. Could be better," I whispered to myself.

I suddenly heard clapping behind me, Tasha had walked into the formal living room and made herself comfortable on one of the chairs. "Are you singing about—?"

"No," I said, before chuckling to myself. She made her way over to me and sat down on the piano bench. "Oh come on, are you sure it isn't him?"

Recipe of Hate was a song I had written two years ago yet for some reason, I was always changing the lyrics. I wanted the heartbreak to stay the same but I was always revising it.

"Oh no, I'm over him," She narrowed her eyes playfully, and I shrugged. "Okay, so why do you look like you're glowing? Is there another love interest?"

I felt my cheeks burn at the memory of Ricardo but I couldn't let her know about him. He was deeply implanted in my mind and this morning when I woke up, I fingered myself to his face. I remembered the way those fingers held the beer bottle yesterday, and I imagined them inside me.

"I'm just singing about an old love, just getting my album ready," I assured, her eyes never leaving mine.

"Your nose is twitching and it's something you do when you're lying. Spill," Tasha demanded, but I simply turned my attention back to the piano.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," I sang, making sure to hit notes that matched my pitch. She crossed her arms and titled her head to the side, earning a sigh from me. "Selina,"

"Okay, fine. There's this man, his name is Ricardo and he's so fucking fine. Like I want to be on my knees and if he asked me to, I'll spread my legs so wide for him. But he's so grumpy and mean to me. So I'm mean to him back but I'm only just flirting," I whispered, keeping my voice low.