Forty

CHAPTER FORTY
THE RULES OF SELINA
LAS VEGAS, NEVADA

My body froze, and it took a few seconds to comprehend what had just happened

My body froze, and it took a few seconds to comprehend what had just happened. Solána stood up, and pulled me from the chair, wrapping her arms around me. "So happy for you!"

"Thank you," I whispered. Making my way to the stage, I thanked the security guard who helped me up the stairs and even adjusted the train of my dress. "Confidence, Selina. Confidence," I mumbled, straightening my back.

The Mariah Carey handed me my first-ever Grammy, and I swore I felt like I was dreaming.

"I um, oh god. I don't even know what to say," I said, standing behind the microphone. My eyes skimmed the large Academy, feeling my breath hitch in the back of my throat.I couldn't believe this was happening, this didn't even feel real.

"First and foremost, I would like to thank my fans. Thank you for being there with me at every moment, I truly couldn't make it here without you. When I started singing when I was 7, I never imagined I would be up here winning a Grammy. I never believed people when they said to follow your dreams but now I understand why that matters so much. Thank you to my wonderful team, they made sure everything was perfect for today, with my makeup and my outfits. Thank you to my manager William, he's been such a pleasure to have around and of course, I want to thank my friends and family who always believed in me from the beginning," I said, earning applause. Waving one last time, I turn around and make my way off the stage backstage.

There I see my parents and my siblings waiting for me while chatting with themselves. Mom and dad cheered once they saw me, pulling me into their embrace. Lorenzo nodded, and I knew that was his way of congratulating me.

"Not bad, dickface," Serafina said, and I rolled my eyes. "Call me when you win a Grammy, herpes,"

"Oh, it's beautiful," Mom said, a small tear falling down her cheek. "It represents all the hard work you've done over the past year,"

"I'm so proud of you, Selina," Dad said, placing a kiss on my temple. I found myself growing comfortable with my family like I didn't want to leave. Even though the best thing in the world just happened to me, I wanted to celebrate with them—the people who knew the real me.

"Miss Maxwell, it's time to get you ready for your performance,"

But I couldn't.

"Yes, I'm coming," I assured the woman. Saying goodbye to my family, I followed her back to my dressing room. They said they'll head back to their seats and they'll waiting for me once I finish. Once I entered inside, I spotted William who waited with my glam team.

"I have to fix my makeup," I said, placing the Grammy down on my vanity before grabbing some gloss. I used the reflection of it to make sure my lips were coated perfectly and my manager, William chuckled behind me.