Twenty Six

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX
THE RULES OF SELINA
SAVANNAH, GEORGIA

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX THE RULES OF SELINASAVANNAH, GEORGIA

Jack and I danced until it was about 10. I had carpooled in Athena's car to the wedding but he promised to drive me back home so I said yes. After giving him the directions of the manor, we sang dozens of songs. Every once in a while, he would give me little smiles that caused my cheeks to burn. My window was down so my hair was dancing along with us.

I wasn't going to let him meet my father. It was still early and I knew my dad would make a fuss. So I planned that once he dropped me off, I would run inside and close the front door.

Suddenly, the car shook and the sound of a busted tire entered our ears. Jack parked the car and together we exited it, looking down at his tire.

Looking around, I realize the road is familiar. This was the same place where I had burst my tire a couple of months ago, I should have warned Jack but I was just too busy singing.

"We could probably call someone," I said, but he lifted his phone and shook his head. "There's no service here,"

"What? That can't be true. When I fucked up my 9th tire, there was an officer and he used his phone,"

"It must be an effect of the storm y'all just had. The sign over there says there is an auto shop about a mile out. I'm sure I can walk over there and ask one of the mechanics for help," He said, and instantly my mind traveled to Ricardo. That meant that they would meet and I didn't know If I could handle that.

"Is that our only option?"

"It's worth a shot. I know you're wearing heels so I won't ask you to come. Stay in the car, here are the keys so you can lock yourself inside,"

I watched as he walked off, leaving me alone. Crossing my arms, I lean against the car, as goosebumps appeared on my skin. Looking around, a shiver travels up my spine while the leaves rustle behind me. Nothing but a dark glow surrounds the road and the moon is the only light source.

I curse myself for standing outside, and just when I'm about to enter the car again, I see a familiar truck stop on the other side of the road. Rolling the window down, I meet Ricardo's dark eyes. Instantly, I turn my head away, feeling my body tense. "You know if you hadn't blocked my number, you could have called for help,"

"I don't need your help," I mumbled, keeping my gaze toward the floor. "Where's your boyfriend? It seems like you're always with him,"

"Where's your girlfriend? Shouldn't you be with her at your home?" Slowly, I pulled my head up. His eyes travel up and down my attire, and I didn't fail to notice the way his tongue swiped across my bottom lip.

He got out of his truck, despite it being parked in the middle of the road. Making his way over to me, he places his hands on both sides of the car near my hips, trapping me in.