Thirty Seven

CHAPTER THIRTY SEVEN
THE RULES OF SELINA
SAVANNAH, GEORGIA

I guided Ricardo through the busy manor, often stopping to greet guests and thank them for coming

I guided Ricardo through the busy manor, often stopping to greet guests and thank them for coming. I can tell by the way he's granting everyone awkward nods, he's growing anxious about the number of people here. So every few minutes, I pecked his lips so he could calm down.

Finally, I spotted my mother and father talking to Mimi Rose Prescott. My dad's hand rubbed circles on mom's back, and she subtly leaned into his embrace.

Mimi walked off, and I use this as the perfect opportunity to walk over. Making my way to my mom, I hug her from behind, resting my head on her shoulder. She must have smelt my perfume because she placed her hand on the side of my face. Closing my eyes, a warm sensation enters my stomach. I had missed hugging my mother, especially since I moved out of the manor.

"You look lovely, Selina," She said, as her eyes looked up and down my attire.

"Thanks, mom. I see you bought the dress that I said you should get," I smiled, lifting my chin.

"You know you're my little fashionista. It's almost impossible to keep up with the trends these days," She explained.

From beside me, I heard someone clearing their throat. My attention turned to my dad who stood like he didn't do anything. Rolling my eyes, I wrapped my arms around his torso and kissed his cheek. "Hey, dad,"

"It's good to see you, princess," Dad said before he acknowledged Ricardo's presence by granting him a small nod. "Ricardo,"

"Mr. Maxwell," Ric responded, and I began playing with his fingers.

"You two be nice," Mom demanded, raising her right eyebrow. My eyes managed to land on Lorenzo who was chatting up a storm with some of the guests around his age. I wasn't surprised to see he was practically best friends with them, he always knew how to use his charisma.

I also noticed a few boys that he managed to bring with him from university couldn't take their eyes off mom.

"Hi Mrs. Diana," They said when they walked past us.

"Hi boys," Mom replied, sending them a polite smile. I noticed the way dad mumbled something under his breath as he wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her closer.

I watched my parents with nothing but admiration. For the first time, I understood what it felt like to be in love like them. As I wrapped my arms around Ricardo, he placed a kiss on my forehead and I offered him a smile. For years, I had dreamed of a life like this. A love so kind and pure. He was my shinning star, the one thing I looked forward to seeing when I woke up in the morning.

And I was excited for the future.

"Ricardo, why don't I introduce you to friends of mine? Let's leave the girls, yes?" Dad asked, earning a nod from Ric. They both walked off and soon, it's as just mom and I in the busy foyer. Just then, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up and I just knew something was wrong.