Three

CHAPTER THREE
THE RULES OF SELINA
SAVANNAH, GEORGIA

My label has decided if I can put together 5 songs, they'll schedule me for collabs which would be insane

My label has decided if I can put together 5 songs, they'll schedule me for collabs which would be insane. Today, I was recording my fifth song, Recipe of Hate. Most people didn't know Selina Maxwell since I wasn't a large artist yet but I was hoping to become one. I placed my pencil down on the table, running my hands through my dark hair, my eyes still trained on the lyrics in front of me.

"TJ? What do you think about this?" I asked, lifting my notepad, while he looked away from his computer. His eyes scanned the paper, and he nodded, shortly. "I fuck with that better than the first revision,"

"Okay, so should I step inside again?" I asked, and he nodded, moving to his setup. We used his software to create a melody that was focused around a cello. He added drums, a closed hi-hat, and a snare drum for the beat along with a guitar for some bass. It was a soft song but the beat highlighted the anger that was seeping through my veins.

I put the headphones on my head and stepped in front of the microphone. Since we had already recorded half of the song, we just needed the finish the rest.

"Alright, remember what I said. Ride the music don't let the music ride you," He sent me a thumb up from behind the glass window, and I sent him one back, soon the melody began playing through my headphones.

"You're mine when you see me but she's a call away. You put me back together just to throw me apart, baby. I should have listened to all the girls that said that's your art, maybe," I sang, and soon the music stopped at the expected measure.

"I don't know what I did but let me double the baby and the maybe. I think it would sound cool with another note," I assured, and he pressed a button near him.

"Alright, we'll do another take of that and then we'll focus on adding more," He said, earning a smile from me. I sang the lyrics again and then we focused on perfecting baby and maybe. On both those words, I could hear myself harmonize and it added depth to the song.

"I'm at your mercy but tell me would you come if I rang your line? You picked me up to throw me against the wall, yet you're still on my mind. I didn't know I was replaceable but here you are with your new valentine. When you touched my skin, I knew you felt my heart rate. But us together is my Recipe of Hate," The words flowed out of my mouth with emotion and a single tear dropped out of my eye.

"Yeah, I like that chorus," TJ told me, nodding his head. The music started again and I began singing the bridge of the song. "Ever since you changed, we don't have fun these days. And this used to be our world but look what you've done. When you stopped loving me, I believed it just was a phrase. I guess when the lights went out, it meant you're my Recipe of Hate, oh yeah,"