03 | Pretentious Prick

Laura's Pov

He stood straight and serious, hands in pockets, as he stared down at me, almost like he knew me, like he was trying to figure something out.

And for a second there, the only thing I could do was stare back.

He was so tall- wearing, of course, a black business suit, with quite the open neckline underneath. I cold tell easily by his broad shoulders, that he was built nicely.

His hair was a beautiful beachy bright blonde, contrasting with his serious demeanour. The chizzled jawline, hazel eyes, heart shaped cupid's bow..

I'd never seen a boss quite like this one. I swear Earned it by The Weeknd started playing in my head.

This was far from the white fifty year old men I was used to.

"Pretentious prick in a pretty business suit" he spoke up- his voice clear and poised "Creative"

His voice was so smooth.. so sweet.

So sweet I almost forgot all the words I'd said, and all the other ones I was supposed to say.

Of course, dear as he was, he needed to remind me of the insult I'd just thrown at him, not knowing he was even there. That simple sentence, also confirmed, he'd been standing there for a while, waiting for me to end my little rant.

My throat went almost completely dry, and I wasn't sure how to respond. There was no coming back from this one- I'd fucked up a lot of things in mere seconds.

So, what was the point of being sorry now?

I'd quit my job, I wouldn't see John again, I sure as hell wouldn't see this handsome man again.

"Yet another trait of mine John will be missing out on" I replied almost just as quietly. I wasn't sure where my voice went.

I couldn't let him know how greatly his presence was affecting me. I was nervous- I felt little in front of him, like a nobody. His eyes made me feel so exposed.

So I made sure my response showed none of those things.

"That so?" he tilted his head to the side, raising an eyebrow.

I licked my lips.

"Mr. Lynch I have to apologize" John suddenly spoke up, deciding that he needed to interrupt wherever awful place this conversation was going to head to after a couple of more minutes.

Ross walked past me and into the office, and the whiff of cologne I got of him almost made me drop to my knees.

Jesus Christ Laura.

This wasn't normal. I was going a little too mental over a mere stranger- I met so many men on the daily, not one made me so hot, so fast.

"This is not the way we wanted to welcome you into the company. I was not made aware that Miss Marano had decided to pay a visit minutes before our first meet" John's voice was cold as ice, as he glared at me.

"Marano" he repeated my last name, for whatever reason.

I swallowed uneasily.

"Yes, Laura Marano" John repeated, also a little confused.

He told him my full name.

Let's just hope that this guy wasn't as successful as John made him out to be, or that he wasn't known in other companies - otherwise he could ruin my life by just knowing my name.

The thought sent shivers down my spine.

"Hm" he nodded, then stared back at me.

I almost froze in place.