46 | Nightmare Of A Dream

Laura's Pov

He stared at me like he expected an answer.

I didn't have it.

All I could do was stare back, in a brink of tears - laying there as I thought of every other way this couldn't be true.

"There must be a mistake." was all I could muttur, looking at the nurse.

She pressed her lips, shaking her head "Your six week pregnancy was one of the first things we found out when your husband brought you in."

Every time she said husband, I felt like it gave me a fake sense of reality.

But that was one of many things here, considering my brain refused to register what she was saying.

Six weeks. Six weeks??

Questions.. I had a lot of them. A lot of how, when, what if's.

And almost all of them, involving him.

"Excuse me. I did not realize it was news. I'll give some space" she spoke up, before leaving the room completely.

"You didn't know?" Ross questioned.

I wiped my tears with my hands, before looking down. Camille leaned on me, grabbing my shoulder.

I know what she was saying. I appreciated it.

"I.. had a suspicion I did not want to entertain" I swallowed.

As I speak, I see my friends giving little weaves at me, while leaving the room, and Gema sending Ross a glare, before following- so we could talk privately.

I appreciated that too.

"Why?" he asked again.

I sighted, biting my lip.

"I never took the test to confirm. I refused to get one. Chalked shit up to being sick even though I had a feeling." I sobbed "I didn't want a confirmation."

He let out a deep sigh, a his hands ran through his hair.

The next minute was of silence. I could practically see his brain spinning to make sense of it, but, it didn't seem to.

His frustrated, stressed reaction, confirmed my fear of possibly telling him. I knew it could never be actually good, but it still hurt.

"Why didn't you tell me?" he questioned, still walking around, back and forth.

"I didn't want to be one of them." I whispered, and somehow, my hand reached out to touch the locket he gave me.

"One of who?" he approached.

"I felt like you'd think I was lying to you, like the others.." I looked up at him.

He'd told me, and I'd seen it for myself - how many women would be willing to claim so for wealth, or to simply have him. I could easily be one of them.

And besides.. admitting it to him, would be admitting it to myself.

He shut his eyes for a moment, before taking a deep breath, and sitting next to me on the bed.

I didn't look at him- just stared at my hands.

"Then you truly don't know how much you mean to me tesoro, and that.. is my mistake" he admitted.

Confused, I stared at him, as he took my hand in his.

"I almost lost you there." he stared at me "I almost lost you.. without even having you."