21 | Bloody Lips

Ross's Pov

The bright light coming from the big screen in front of us, blinded my eyes, and all I could think was:

It should be her.

"Oh" even John seemed shocked "There seems to be a tie of 301 votes for each of our managers, which I did not expect.. I mean, Mr. Lynch here has years of experience in this position and has proved to do it right" he rubbed his jaw with his hand, seemingly perplexed at the numbers glaring back at him.

"Well, clearly, Miss Marano seems to know what she's doing as well" I narrowed my eyes at him "I've been a witness"

I only turned my head to see her for one second, and she'd been already staring at me- a bit surprised, yet portraying a soft look.

A look I'd learned to like.

"I believe your word Mr. Lynch" John nodded, smiling uncomfortably.

"Wouldn't you know better?" I challenged, letting go of her wrist as I turned to him- blocking his view of her "She was your best for six years with no pay raise"

"Ross" her warning voice rang in my ears, as I felt her hand on my shoulder, making me turn around.

She seemed alarmed.

But she shouldn't have been- this was her right after all. I wasn't blind - the old man never really gave her the right to say anything.

And If I was as much better as he thought- I was happy to use his skewed perception to my advantage.

"So lovely of you to speak so highly of competition" John spoke up, making me roll my eyes and causing giggles between employees "GG wouldn't be who it is without her indeed"

"Right, well" Laura cleared her throat "How about going back to the results?"

"Always to the point Miss" he pointed at her "I'm open to hear out suggestions from this good group of employees we have here. We can do a revote, obviously either now or give it more time, or" he turned to look at Laura and I "GG can follow up on the trail of many other successful companies with the structure change of having two equal managers that drive the branch, temporarily, obviously until one either resigns, moves positions, or is found guilty of something costly"

"So that is a possibility" her reply resembled a sigh of relief, making me feel reassured.

"Yes" John nodded "So out of curiosity, let's see which of the options our employees prefer. Raise your hands if you think there should be a revote"

At that, I noticed a couple of people raise their hands, among them Stephanie and Becca, which was expected.

"Fourteen for revote" John nodded after counting the crowd "Now, how about the temporary double managerial structure?"

More people raised their hands, Camille, which I had learned to be Laura's own best friend, raised her hand.

She seemed quite pleased about it.

"Nineteen annnd twenty" he counted "Well then, we have the answer from the group - but do we have the same between the managers?"

Instinctively, I looked down at her, and she was staring right back at me, with those big, round eyes.

Then I saw her head turn away "Yes"

That response confirmed my way of thinking.

I nodded in approval, and she seemed surprised.

"Alright then, there's other paperwork to look into about that. We can figure that out in the office. Meanwhile, thank you for your time. Meeting dismissed" John spoke up, before gesturing to the door.