36 | Between us

Laura's Pov

"You are upset" Camille crossed her arms.

I sighed, slowly sinking into my pillow "Mom isn't coming to see me for New Year's"

Her eyebrows raised.

"She called me at work today and told me she hasn't saved up enough, and I'm stuck here because of work" I let out a frustrated sigh.

"Oh Laura" she looks at me with those empathetic eyes "I'm sorry"

"It's okay" I shrugged "We don't need a holiday to reunite. We'll find a time"

"That's right" she smiled a little "And we'll spend the best holiday together, but, you mentioned you got this news today right?"

I nodded in agreement.

"So how about the days before?" she raised an eyebrow.

I sucked in a breath at that, looking down at my lap.

"Laura" she mentioned my name again "You're shutting me out. I don't like it"

The reminder of that made me look at her again, only to see her shake her head.

"I want to know what's going on, okay? Good or bad. You know everything about my life and I feel like lately I've been so far away from yours. I think our whole group feels this way. You've been keeping to yourself, and it's not you" she explained.

I pressed my lips, before letting out a breath "I'm sorry. I know I've been a bad friend, but I'm not sure what to say.. exactly. I feel that talking will make it worse"

"Say what's going on" she shrugged "I know it's about Ross. You're only secretive about him"

Fuck.

Even hearing her say his name out loud lit a fire in my heart. A range of emotions passed through me- anger, sadness, excitement.

"Did you sleep together?" was her next question, which made me look away from her completely.

I felt so stupid.

"I knew it" she sighted "There was no way it wouldn't have happened with all the tension.. I just wished you'd told me"

"I can't" I furrowed my eyes at her "It's too complicated- too dumb. I've been silly and he's well.. I can't even describe him right now"

"You're angry" she noted "And in love with him"

My eyes widen at that.

"I absolutely am not in love with him" I made sure to clearly state, glaring at her.

She didn't know how I felt. That was too simple. That couldn't be the case.

"Let me guess" she spoke up "He's ignoring you now? Like he's done to millions of girls before you?"

Her words felt like daggers, because yes, while technically accurate... it didn't feel that way at all.

"It's not like that" I mumbled.

"Oh it's not? Come on Laur, we both know this is a blessing. That man is so fucking toxic, and dangerous to you. You're better off staying as away as you possibly can"

I shut my eyes at that, shaking my head.

She didn't get it.

"Everyone keeps saying he's too dangerous" my voice a bit shaky now, as I felt my emotions build up "But has it ever occurred to you that he... is in danger too?"

Her face fell at my statement, and she blinked, staring at me.

"Fuck" I mumbled, suddenly leaving the bed to grab the tissues on my night stand, and wipe away the tears.