23 | A Lynch

Ross' Pov

"We only have fourteen rooms booked" the receptionist spoke as she stared at her computer.

"There are fifteen employees" I gritted my teeth "I'm pretty sure I said fifteen"

At the corner of my eye, I noticed Mer lean against the counter next to me, to listen in.

She had to wait for me to figure this out now.

"I'm so sorry Mr. Lynch. You might have, but it wasn't what was sent in with the papers" she argued, looking through the folders in the desk "There"

As I took the paper in hand, Laura spoke up "Aren't we sixteen?"

"I'm not staying here" I muttered an answer, not believing I'd been proven wrong as I looked at the numbers.

Fuck.

I put the paper down on the desk, running a hand through my hair in distress.

Things had been tied into a knot since last night. Everything felt complicated beyond belief, and it was frustrating.

Especially at this hour.

I felt tired. I knew probably everyone did. Laura, I would say for certain.

She looked like she was about to pass out, and I didn't like that we were having to drag this shit longer.

I felt her hand on my arm, and I turned to her immediately- like her simplest touch had me on overdrive.

What the hell was this spell.

Her eyebrows narrowed, and she looked down "Actually.. remember that one folder .. last night"

Folder? What fucking folder?

My whole concentration had been on her. Not that it was anywhere else on the daily, which was causing problems in itself.

This woman distracted the shit out of me.

"The one we left unopened" she pressed her lips, then looked up at me.

Those beautiful eyes. Those beautiful tired eyes.

And those lips, the ones I'd have to stay away from the most.

I just blinked at her- my mind was too busy right now, to think of where she was going with this.

"The bookings were probably on there" she spoke up again, when she noticed I wasn't answering "We didn't check them"

There she was.

Her and her smart fucking brain.

Careless, wouldn't even begin to describe last night.

"Fuck" I sighed, looking away from her gorgeous eyes, to see the receptionist and my sister staring at us.

"There's nothing we can do Mr. Lynch" the receptionist spoke up "Our most sincere apologies. We get very busy this time of year, and if it weren't that the case, we would've definitely freed a room somehow, but I can't make changes on any of them as of now"

"It's alright" Laura actually replied instead "We didn't recheck and confirm. It's not your fault"

At that, the receptionist sent her a small smile.

"Well you can't just tell everyone to go to their rooms and leave one of them out" my sister inserted herself into the conversation "What are you gonna do?"

I sighed, turning to look back at the group.

They'd taken seats in the lobby at that point- some talking to each other or falling asleep.