08 | Earn It

Laura's Pov:

"She literally cut in line, and somehow it was my fault? She was yelling and making such a scene- so I know, I told her that-"

Silence took over, and, by the time I noticed, Gema was already staring at me- furrowed brows and all.

"Yes?" I cleaned my throat, blinking "Continue"

"No" she pointed at me "You're in a whole different world right now. Come down"

"I am down" I raised my eyebrows, making Camille snort a laugh.

She was sipping on the starbucks Gema had brought- we'd made our orders to her since she was the only one home, and she'd went and got them, but not without getting in an argument while she was there.

At least, that's what I thought she mentioned.. right, anyway: nothing new for her. She always had little stories to tell- it was like chaos followed her around.

"Don't mind her Gema" Camille spoke up, after biting into a brioche "She's been off this whole day. I still don't know what all that fluster was about at lunch"

Oh uh.

"Fluster?" Gema raised an eyebrow.

"Yep. She came running in, pink as tomatoes, and the whole entire time we were talking she kept messing up her words" Camille laughed, then looked back at me "She's so fucking off"

"I wasn't off. I'm not off right now. I'm actually quite literally listening to both of you discuss like I'm not here and it's annoying" I scurnched my nose at the two in front of me.

I'd rather be hung, than admit why exactly I came rushing into lunch, or whose eyes I'd been thinking of the entire time, or why I kept having flashbacks to what he did and feeling uncomfortable, yet.. oh god.

I'd been discussing whether or not that was deemed acceptable in my head all day, not only in the work environment, but If I'd stand for it. Surely, it was not appropriate to speak to me like that, but my brain refused to admit it- it wanted so badly to believe that it was nothing.

I liked this position- I didn't want anything to mess it up, but I was certain he was trying to mess it up- mess me up. He wanted to chatch me stumbling, playing dirty. Perhaps it was his plan all along.

It was pathetic, but as unprepared as I was, I'd definitely thrown me off completely.

Who does that?

Why.. why was he so.. close..

"No I think what is annoying is that something happened before you came to lunch because certainly that's not who you are, okay? You don't stumble on your every word lady- if you did, you wouldn't be the manager of one of the biggest branches of a homeware company right now" she rolled her eyes.

And I knew I was fucked, beacuse these people did truly know me like that. What Camille was saying checked out completely, but, again, I'd rather get eaten by lions, then speak on what happened.

One, because I wasn't sure what the hell that was myself- I didn't know his intentions. Actually, I wasn't certain there was any to begin with- maybe I was overreacting?

Two, if I wasn't overreacting, they surely would.

"I'm only half-managing, currently" I corrected, looking down at my nails.

Maybe I need a manicure.

"Right, and what's with the other half? How was first day of work with Brooding Businessman?" I heard Nick speak up as he walked by us, looking back at me.