32 | The Breakdown

Laura' Pov

"Wine, madam?"

"No" I quietly refused the drink offered my way.

"And sir?"

He didn't even look at the flight attendant, head down in a book, with a frown on his face.

I shook my head, answered for him, and the girl nodded, leaving.

As I laid back down on my seat, I could only leave out a quiet sigh.

It had been an hour into the flight and everything had felt so somber, empty. Even the chatter of others was disappearing into the background, as I laid next to Ross.

I could only sneak a look to his side, to have my heart hurt for him.

That deep frown hid pain behind it. The sort of pain that had no cure. The sort he kept hidden from anyone.

Until... well..

Yesterday. 6:00 pm.

"Do you have everything?"

"Yep" he nodded.

I got myself comfortable in the passenger seat, as we drove off. Work had been annoying, as usual.

After a while of silence, he spoke up.

"You cold?"

I pressed my lips.

"Freezing"

He looked back at me, a mix of confusion & amusement on his face.

As he narrowed his eyes, I bit the inside of my cheek to keep myself from smiling.

"Marano-"

"Look ahead" I interrupted him "Before you kill us both"

He looked back at the road, leaving out a huff.

A few more minutes passed by, as I just watched the rain drops fall on the window, creating a calming sound.

I was still sleepless, so it took all of me not to fall asleep right then and there as the car warmed up. We had an early flight tomorrow, so we both needed to get to bed early today

"You were good today" he suddenly spoke up. His voice velvet soft.

I stared at his profile, but he didn't look at me.

"Thank you"

He then parked into the garage, before speaking up again.

"You were good last night too"

Before I could process what just came out of his mouth, he'd left the car.

My jaw dropped a little, as I narrowed my eyebrows. I could feel my face get hot.

Did he just..?

A knock at the glass of the door on my side startled me.

"Out lady"

I looked back at him, shaking my head as he opened the door for me.

I walked forward into the house as he locked the car, and followed me in.