51 | Epilogue

"This case covered the gang forces based in New York specifically, that had been an issue for a long time, causing distress for normal citizens. Some of the activities these gangs were noted to part-take in included robbery, drug and firearms trafficking, prostitution and human trafficking, fraud, and many more illegal activities." he described.

Speechless and frozen, I sat there. Did this..relate to..

"Planning to execute such a mission not only took long because of minor details, but also we struggled to find a competent agent that would be willing to take on this large, dangerous case. We went through options, thought they weren't many, as not many would be willing to sacrifice their lives to save others."

"No fear of death, yet a will to succumbe it. This was, our very own- widely respected, Agent Ross Lynch."

My hands flew to my mouth as the crowd started clapping. A crowd of guards and several respected agents separated to let Ross walk up the stage, followed by two guards on each side. It almost seemed like water would split in two just to let this man walk.

Expressionless, yet polished, he stood there in straight posture - hands clasped together in the front, as I noticed now the honorary badges on his suit.. among them, the blinding shiny badge of the FBI.

 among them, the blinding shiny badge of the FBI

Stunned, I could only look up at him. I felt my mom and my friends trying to get my attention to either ask questions or together talk about how insane this all was, but I was frozen.

My brain started putting things together. Little hints I never thought anything of at the time.. like the badge and identification he showed at the corporate  costume party, where he'd been 'dressed' as, well..  his true identity.

He'd told me who he was from the first weeks of knowing me, and I had not a clue.

But maybe the fact that he'd been leader of the Red Circle Association, yet never really part of the group of crime, could give me a hint? Maybe the fact that he never avoided the hospital in critical conditions, or got questioned by police for his reasons of being there. Maybe his wealth, the fact that he hated being part of crime, his connections and authority over guards, maybe the VHF Radio in his drawer, maybe the fact that after it was all done.. he still held a secret, that he hadn't come clean about.

My head was practically spinning, searching for answers in the past, and as he stood there, his eyes lowered to mine on the front row.

His face expression changed only for a slight second, as he gave me a hint of a smile, before looking up again. An interaction you'd never notice, unless you knew who it was for.

He was never part of the crime. He was never a part of the killings, drugs, and fraud. He did it with a purpose. He killed a criminal when necessary, to save good people.

I'd been blind-sighted, and so much so, I had to reach to wipe away the tears running down my cheeks.

It was a disguise.