Chapter 1: Shadows in the Night (Updated)

To you, whose death left a deep scar in me...

To you, whose words are forever inked in my soul...

To you, from whom I failed to keep my promise, that of protecting you...

To you, whom I had to see die in helplessness...

To you, from whom I couldn't save from the darkness...

"Never again," I promised myself...

Alas, I only know how to make mistakes...

Again and again, the same patterns repeat themselves...

To you, whose disappearance almost made me lose hope...

On my life, I swear to save you from these demons that haunt you.

I will never allow anyone to hurt you ever again.

"Never again," I promised one last time.

The Seraph Project - Solitude

The night shelters the blackest of darkness where undulate the shadows enslaved by the light. Since the human eye is unable to pierce this far too gloomy veil, dimness creates waking nightmares. Fear and paranoia distort reality and invent demons wandering into the most abstract, spooky corners. Like Chinese shadows, the blind eye hallucinates entities waiting for the perfect moment to pounce, snatch the life until they are swept away by the light. Humankind has always feared the night lulled by shadows, convinced of being spied on by a predator that the brain imagined on its own to justify its terror of finding itself in the oppressive darkness.

Of course, this all goes back to times long forgotten. Humanity has conquered the darkness and has become the ultimate predator; the master of day and night. Through the use of chakra, the shinobis and kunoichis of this world are at the top. Nothing can outclass this established order and it's inconceivable to believe that there is a worse predator than the king of predators itself.

I am also at the top, maybe even more. I am a legendary ninja; a shinobi from the Hidden Leaf Village whose name marked the five great countries of his exploits.

And my name is Hatake Kakashi, more commonly known as "Kakashi of the Sharingan."

Perhaps it's the dark night, camouflaged by clouds that erased this still young star in the sky, that made me dither on disturbing but interesting ideologies? I cannot say, although it's a habit I have when I'm about to finish one of the volumes of Make-Out Paradise. I know the end by heart; I would be able to recite the dialogues perfectly. And yet, I always delay reading the epilogue that closes my favourite novel, this masterpiece of unequalled and delicious eroticism for the eyes and the creative mind.

While continuing to wander nonchalantly, I take a deep breath to empty myself and forget everything to then tackle the last chapter, as if I were reading it for the first time. However, familiar voices pull my nose from my book.