Chapter 75: My Life Is in your Hands

I let out the longest sigh of my life. I'm impatiently awaiting the arrival of Shikamaru, who has decided to make me wait. Since I've lost track of time, I feel like hours have passed. I'm trapped in this prison of flesh that is my body. The boredom grows and becomes unbearable. All in all, I console myself that I no longer suffer martyrdom. The first night spent in this room was the worst of my entire life; a real hell that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

I can't sleep. Other than talking to myself, I can't chat with Naruto due to his silence. I can't move my arms and therefore play any game with him to chase away the boredom that is slowly killing me. I desperately need to be entertained, to be stimulated. The gentle caresses in my hair leave me indifferent now.

What I'd give to read something.

In search of visual entertainment, I sweep my gaze everywhere around me. I observe the window through which I contemplate the village and the horizon, the next bed, Naruto watching over me, the tiles, the extinguished neon lights, the ceiling, the bedside tables, the wardrobes... Suddenly, an epiphany illuminates my spirit. My shinobi gear should be in the wardrobe. A copy of the Make-Out Paradise that I carry everywhere with me must be there. I can't move my arms, of course, but knowing Naruto, he will obey my slightest request.

"Naruto. Do you see the wardrobe over there?"

The blond turns his head, looking for the thing I'm referring to, wagging his black tail. When his eyes focus on the wardrobe in question, he returns his attention to me and raises an eyebrow.

"This is where my things are stored. Inside you'll find one of my books. Can you bring it to me, please?"

Faithful to his silence, he doesn't answer me. However, he understands me since he releases my hand, goes to the wardrobe and looks inside. His back hides my vision, but I can see my accomplished ninja jacket and my clothes, including those of the teenager. As his tail twirls playfully, he takes off his hospital jacket and tucks it inside.

The ebony mosaic tattooed on his back overwhelms my eye every time. The more I contemplate it, the more I find it magnificent. The abstract shapes fit Naruto's curves and muscles to perfection. I wonder if the markings are the same among other chakra devourers, or if they're unique like fingerprints.

Naruto puts on my long-sleeved shirt... I let out a sigh of exasperation; he annoys me by always stealing it from me whenever he gets the chance. I'd rather see him shirtless than see him walking around with my stuff on his back. The feral boy begins to inspect my clothes. He shoves his hand into my back pocket, from which he takes out the object of my desire. At the sight of my beloved book, I'm a little too excited. If I could, I'd tremble.

"Yes! That's it! Come back!" Naruto closes the wardrobe and returns to my bedside, book in hand. "Can you climb on top of me and hold it up in front of my eyes on page 52?!"

He gently places the book on my chest. With great caution, he climbs into my bed, making sure not to crush me. He spreads both my arms to put his two legs on either side of my body. He takes the book, which he opens to the requested page and holds it out in front of my face, at eye level.

"Perfect, Naruto! Stay like that!" I exclaim enthusiastically as I began reading.

Obediently, Naruto turns the pages when I ask him, becoming my arms and hands. Fortunately, my silent giggles don't bother him. I can finally distract my mind from a thousand and one questions. I desperately needed to think of something else. Plus, it helps me pass the time.

★ ★ ★

Distant footsteps break the silence and quickly, a silhouette appears in the door window. The latter knocks and enters. I recognize Shikamaru. He knows the reason why he was summoned; he's nervous, and his posture lacks confidence and nonchalance. I ask Naruto to put my book aside and move away from me—something he does immediately before sitting down again.