Chapter 38: Would You Forgive Me?

I'm glad that Sakura came today instead of Shikamaru. Thanks to her, the pains in my burning arm have died down and Naruto feels much more peaceful; the demons that were gnawing at him and making him sick were cast out by her. I believe his distrust of her has disappeared somewhat, if not completely. I'd have liked to offer her to accompany us, but I refrained from doing so, for fear that it would be too early for the boy with the sapphire eyes. Moreover, Sakura is expected elsewhere and couldn't stay longer.

The medicine swallowed, I told Naruto to change and get ready. Seeing him rushing, he's excited to go out and it has completely awakened him. Nevertheless, he yawns at times, betraying his still present fatigue. It's very likely that the blond had insomnia that night and that he only started to doze at dawn; given his cycle as a nocturnal creature so deeply embedded in his body, this is hardly surprising. I must also not forget that he's sleeping late in the afternoon. Once again, I will have to make sure he stays awake.

Breaking his nocturnal rhythm will be difficult.

Donning his favourite orange attire, including his dark cape, the teenager waits patiently for me at the entrance as I finish getting ready myself. I noticed that Naruto no longer zips his jacket entirely as he used to. I wonder if that doesn't hide something else, given his bad habit of hurting himself at this place and unconsciously grabbing his throat during his nightmares. However, the fact that he wears his forehead protector around his neck doesn't bother him although it's very far from being tight or glued to the skin; the headband—being important and perhaps a source of comfort—may be an exception. Taking into account what happened the day before, I am convinced that there is a reason. To be sure, I have no choice but to risk causing Naruto distress if my doubts turn out to be true.

I approach him, placing my hands on his shoulders.

"Naruto, I need to confirm something with you before we go. You won't like what I'm about to do, but I'll be gentle. If it's too unbearable for you, you'll stop me and I won't insist further, okay?"

His radiant face is bitten with anxiety at the sound of my words, which freezes him in place, as well as his breath. The slight tremors taking hold of him are barely perceptible. He apprehends, but he doesn't push me away; I understand that he accepts what I am about to do.

Gently and slowly, I place my palms on both sides of his neck, going under his headband. Immediately, Naruto no longer blinks his eyelids nor sees. I manage to hear the beating of his heart which starts a mad race; at that, his breath quickens and follows the pace in his chest. When I try to gently squeeze his neck around its entire circumference, the blond quickly grabs my hands to push them away. His own hands are shaking and he holds mine so tightly that he makes me wince in pain.

Obviously, there was indeed a traumatic event that explains his refusal to have his neck squeezed or touched by anything. I understand better why he refused to let me bandage his wounds; besides his forehead protector, everything causes him suffering. Nevertheless, I know that I have to be careful to avoid him stress and panic. To see him like this, I am enraged; so as not to let these thoughts cloud me, I breathe in long and deeply.

Meanwhile, Naruto releases my wrists. To calm him down, I take him in my arms and he hugs me back with all his limbs.

"I'm sorry, Naruto," I whisper, running a hand through his static-electricity charged mane. "I now know that it hurts you. I won't put my hands on that part of you again."

I separate from him after a few seconds. I plunge my iris into his much brighter ones. Naruto gives me a sincere smile—something I imitate. As promised, I walk out with the feral boy clinging to my arm.

★ ★ ★

Outside, the light still attacks his retinas unable to adapt, forcing Naruto to stick to me. His ebony tail expresses itself at times, but it stays hidden longer than before. Being more and more comfortable, less on the alert despite his nagging fear, he holds my arm less fiercely and the speed of his steps manages to have a normal pace. His improvement thus increasing every day makes me sketch a smile. I hope he can soon walk beside me without having to constantly touch me.