Chapter 84: Denial

TW: Eating Disorder

I'm still shocked by this most chaotic awakening. I don't say a word; I don't give the slightest glance since Sakura is back. She's done putting a new IV in my other arm, since I brutally ripped out the previous one. As a result, I'm in a little pain, but that's the least of my worries.

The pain shoots me absolutely everywhere. A horrible headache hammers my skull mercilessly. I'm given an ice pack that I apply to the bump I made on my head, where I hit myself most often. Plus, my fingers hurt terribly. It's as if I had cut my nails way too short and they were suffering from inflammation caused by significant trauma. I don't understand. I didn't cut them at the root; there's still a thin white line...

I have no more memories. I have no idea what could have triggered such a violent night terror, so much so that I gave Naruto a serious punch. His cheek is badly bruised, but he doesn't hold it against me. He must know that my actions were involuntary and that I wasn't in control of myself. His eyes are clouded with worry and barely blink. As always, he's sitting at my bedside. I feel his irrepressible desire to hold my hand; his eyes constantly glance on my hands. However, he hesitates. Obviously, he sincerely fears touching me.

"There, I'm done," Sakura tells me gently.

"Thank you," I whisper. Mechanically, I caress the back of my neck, this mark. Its meaning, its secrets, the future it has in store for me... It all worries me too much. I never thought I'd experience night terrors as an adult. Coupled with the fact that my student didn't poison me enough, I'm certain that this mark is to blame...

"Do you think your mark is the cause of your night terror?" Sakura guesses.

"You know from what I can see."

"Please, don't tell anyone," she implores me. "I'm not supposed to know. Shikamaru is the one who told me about it."

Her words leave me speechless. Lady Tsunade wants to keep this information confidential, but to hide it from her loyal and trustworthy pupil like Sakura? I'm flabbergasted. Shikamaru shares secret information with her, even though he knows the consequences if he gets caught. Obviously, they exchange data that concerns me. They must think that I'm turning into a nocturnal, chakra-hungry creature.

"You think I'll turn into a chakra devourer, right?" Silent, my student doesn't respond and avoids my gaze. I hit the nail on the head. "I also share your fears," I continue, touching the abstract shapes on my neck. "Lady Tsunade believes that as long as the mark doesn't progress on my body, I'll remain human..."

A silence settles in.

Sakura tries to speak, but she can't. She's bothered by something. So, I'm patiently waiting for her to speak out.

"Kakashi-Sensei..." She swallows. "Have you regained your sense of smell...?"

I raise an eyebrow. "Yes? For quite a while now. Why this question?" I ask, tilting my head to the right.

Her face falls apart in front of me; she's completely livid. Her reaction gets on my nerves. I sniff the air and the smells that engulf my room. The burning aroma of a body of lightning has given way to that of freshly turned earth. Naruto's particular body scent takes over. That said, it's not horrible and filthy compared to the one in my apartment. A smell that I'd describe as "wild" fills the place, and it's not unpleasant. The only ones that are stinky are those caused by lack of hygiene.

"Why this question, Sakura?"

"Don't you think that the smell in the room is ... unbearable...?"

Once again, I sniff the air, and Naruto imitates me. Nothing disturbing or offensive to my nose. Now that I think about it, it's weird. Naruto's smell is infamous, and I never got used to it; I just learned to live with it. Since I've never opened the windows since my hospitalization, I assume that the room is poorly ventilated ... but I doubt it. It doesn't smell like it... Maa, I guess my nose has managed to ignore it. I won't complain about it—on the contrary, finally good news.