Chapter 6: Disturbing Mutations (Updated)

True to her position as Hokage, Tsunade took care of the paperwork that piled up and never ended. Despite the recent events and this most depressing month, she remained the steadfast pillar of her village and did not let emotions get to her, although a pain constantly pinched her chest now. Naruto was her protege, a shinobi she loved like a big sister to her little brother. The fact that he was missing, coupled with the countless rumours that he had passed away, affected her greatly.

It was to Naruto that Godaime entrusted her priceless necklace after losing a bet with the latter. This once cursed jewel had snatched the life of her lover, and her previously adored younger brother. Somehow, she believed that the curse had not left it and was back after three years to unjustly take its new owner to his doom.

Tsunade did not show it, but sometimes, between two cups of sake, she let out a lonely tear.

With disinterest and weariness, she read the outlines of the documents of small importance before, yes or no, approving them. Even her assistant, Shizune, remained silent, content to pet Tonton, Tsunade's little pet pig. Given the circumstances, she was not telling the Hokage to take her job more seriously...

In the corridor, the echo of running footsteps was heard and Godaime immediately raised her head, quickly imitated by Shizune. The door of her office opened wide. She recognized one of her breathless chūnins. Frowning, she waited for him to speak up.

"Lord Hokage!"

"What's going on?"

A short silence. The shinobi needed some time to regain control over his raging breathing and thus, be able to formulate two words in a row.

"It... It's Uzumaki Naruto! He's back in the village!" he said.

Tsunade got up from her chair and abruptly put both her hands on the desk.

"What did you just say?!" she cried out in a scream.

"He's currently in intensive care..."

"I'm going there right now!" she exclaimed, cutting him off before waving at Shizune. "You're coming with me!"

"Yes!" nodded her assistant who ordered Tonton to wait for their return in the Hokage's office.

As the shinobi were left behind, Tsunade and Shizune took the path leading straight to The Konoha Hospital. The two women shared similar thoughts and feelings; their hearts were heavy and bruised. They could not believe it. They were expecting a horrible bad taste joke, convinced to find nothing but disappointments mixed with a touch of despair.

The countless searches all over the country had been for naught. No leads, no clues, nothing. Weeks in nothingness gave nothing and suddenly, from nowhere, one of the two kidnapped victims had been found. Nevertheless, they were relieved to know that Naruto was alive although worries plagued their minds. Several questions swirled like destructive tornadoes, theories and hypotheses flowed... However, for the immediate moment, their priority was the boy with sapphire eyes visibly in critical condition. Unanswered questions would wait.

Quickly, they arrived on the scene. Being medical-nin themselves, they knew where to go and hurried to the intensive care unit. Inside, Tsunade was greeted by one of the nurses assigned to Naruto's care. At first glance, she seemed to be waiting and watching for her arrival since she was very close to the doors.

"Lady Tsunade! This way!" hurried the young woman, telling Tsunade and Shizune to follow her to the room where Naruto was.

In the meantime, she gave the Hokage the medical file so she could take a look—which she did right away. As they passed through the doors, Godaime's organ of love pounded against her chest in spite of herself. At the sight of the boy, she had a very bad feeling; at this, astonishment tore her breath away. As for Shizune, she gasped in surprise and covered her mouth with her hand.