Chapter 16: Fangs in the Flesh (Updated)

Memories of the night before come flooding back. Naruto's sudden attack; the way he threw himself on me with anger and aggression; the latter astride on me; his powerful hand on my crushed and stabbed trachea; his piercing gaze as sharp as the purest of diamonds, probing me to the deepest of my intimacies; his absolute hold on my mind and my body at the mercy of his hypnotic eyes...

I have cold sweats.

I don't know how he will react this time. The possibility that this animosity towards me is still there can't be ruled out. Nevertheless, I don't think he did it on purpose and intentionally with the aim of hurting me; his brain altered by a feral and impulsive temperament must play on his judgment and his ability to make decisions. Maybe he wanted to make sure that I couldn't run away and therefore escape his spell? Maybe he was upset, explaining the brutality he showed? I can't say and I don't care. Right now, that's the least of my worries.

This third visit and this task that I've been entrusted with worry me; the fears intertwine with this chaotic tornado that are my thoughts. I will have to offer him my chakra, but how? But above all, is this really what he needs? Unable to flee my duty, I shake my head; I can't go back. Now isn't the time to let fear or those anxious thoughts dictate my actions. Naruto needs help, needs me.

This time, I immediately went to where my student is. I'm so concerned that I haven't even looked at the screens in the observation room. The day has long gone and Naruto must be waiting for me... If I think back to yesterday's incident, maybe not after all. Well, I will see in due time.

When the mechanical noise sounds, I cross the metal door behind which is Naruto. On the other side, silence is king. Strange. I approach the iron bars, scanning my eye around the cell. I don't take long to see him, to see Naruto. On his side, he's lying on the sheets of his bunk. His azure-blue irises and blond hair contrast in the almost complete darkness. Besides, he's already watching me.

To my surprise, after looking at me up and down, Naruto smiles. He jumps out of bed, keeping his hands behind his back. He walks to me, his curious eyes wandering over me, then his expression devoid of emotion returns. He takes a few steps back and stops. He waits for a movement on my part with patience.

Am I dreaming? I'm speechless. His unpredictability hasn't left him despite the loss of his memory. The Naruto I know is still there, somewhere under this shell he forged to protect himself.

After the time of a breath, I pull myself together. Meanwhile, I notice that Naruto is hiding something behind his back. What does he have in mind? Is he trying to lower my vigilance? That I lower my guard in order for him to attack me once my back is turned and then run away? With my last visit ending in an impromptu assault, it hardly surprises me that such questions cross my mind.

I'll get my answers soon...

With him, I have to expect everything.

Carefully, I set foot in the jail. Naruto seems restless to me; he barely stays in place. His ebony tail twirls a few times, and I don't detect any annoyance in it. Once I'm inside, my student approaches me, avoiding my gaze. Knowing the old Naruto, he wants to ask me something, but he's too shy to do it. At least, I am convinced of that.

"What is it, Naruto?"

A silence.

His eyes are glued to the floor, and his foot spins uselessly in place. Not wishing to rush him, I patiently wait for him to speak out... Mah, in his own way given the silence in which he is.

The blond finally looks at me and then reveals what he was hiding. Palms outstretched towards me, he shows me his headband. Confused, I raise an eyebrow. Faced with my inaction, Naruto waves his hands insistently and his eyebrows furrow more and more after each movement now rotten with impatience. He wants me to take the headband for obscure reasons...