Chapter Seven

I closed the last folder and grabbed my bag. It was evening already and I was exhausted. Most of the staff had gone home already. The light in the boss's office was still on so I knew he was still around.

Patricia was still at her table and I felt pity for her. I wonder who put up the stupid rule that the receptionist had to be at her desk until the boss decides to leave.

"I'm leaving Patricia" she yawned tiredly.

"I wish that bastard will finish already. I'm tired" she grumbled lowly.

"His light is still on. I don't think he's going anytime soon. Give him an excuse or something"

"Excuses don't work on him. I'll have to wait. Goodbye love"

"Goodbye Patricia" I waved at her and exited the office. I reached into my bag and dialed Kamiko's number. She picked on the first ring.

"I've been waiting for your call"

"I'm sorry. I had a lot to do and there was no time"

"I'm upset with you"

"And I'm sorry babe. Let's do dinner"

"At the pink place?"

"Where else?"

"I hate seeing Rhea's face"

"We have no option Kamiko. I'll see you in an hour"

"Bye" I cut the call and dialed Nevaeh's number. She don't pick. I tried again. Still no response from her. I stuffed my phone into my bag and made my way to Silas's home. Nevaeh's selection was still on my mind and I was going to do anything to her her out of it.

The front door was locked. He's probably at the office I thought. I turned round the house to his office. Harriet was at the door of the office.

"Paisley" she said with a smile.

"Evening Harriet"

"How are you doing?"

"Stressed. But I'm good"

"And your family? How are they taking the choosing?"

"Ummm. That's the reason I'm here" she frowned.

"Is something wrong?"

"I want to speak to Silas"

"Silas left a few minutes ago. He has a meeting"

I nodded. "Okay then. I'll just come back another time"

"Are you sure everything is okay child?"

"Yes. I'll be on my way" I turned and left the house. I should have come earlier. Maybe during lunch tomorrow I could come and see him. I checked the time. Forty minutes until my dinner with Kamiko.

I decide to go home and shower quickly. Mama was not at home but papa was seated outside. He had a frown on his face.

"Papa" I called him but there was no response.

"Papa" I waved my hands in his face.

"Paisley. You're back"

"Yes. Why are you out here? Is something bothering you?"

He sighed. "It's the choosing. I wish there was something I could do about it. I don't wish to send any of you away"

"And you won't have to" I assured him.

"Don't do anything rash Paisley"

"I won't papa" I entered inside and took my bath and changed into a simple dress. Papa was not outside when I came out and mama was still not back.