Chapter twenty-nine

BRAYAN'S POV

Immediately after breakfast, I had to hurry over to the orphanage. I had forgotten about what happened last night until Naomi came downstairs.

I wanted to spend more time with Paisley. I was surprised by the intensity of my emotions. I had sworn not to get mated and yet, I somehow found myself wanting to get mated immediately.

My wolf wanted it too. But there was still something I needed to find out. She wasn't completely telling the truth and I just wanted to know why she was here in place of her sister.

Gannon was waiting at the orphanage with a sour face.

"I've been waiting for you in like forever"

"I had something to take care off"

He scoffed. "Don't fool me. You smell of roses and lavender. And unless you've begun to use feminine products, I know you were with a woman"

I rolled my eyes. "And so what?"

"You called me in the middle of the night to get you a matron and you spent your time in between a woman's legs" I snarled at him. She wasn't just any woman. She was my mate and he had no right to speak about her in such a manner.

"Sorry. I'm sorry" he raised his hands in defense.

"Where is the matron I asked you to get?"

"She's inside"

I entered Glynnis's old office. All the paintings and decorations that had been here for as long as I remember were all gone. It has a different feeling now.

The woman was much younger than Glynnis. She had a straight face and her glasses sat on the edge of her nose.

"Good morning Alpha"

"Good morning. What's your name?"

"Ziriali" I looked at her papers and former workplaces recommendation.

"I'm sure Gannon told you why he called you. The old matron had to be let go and you'll be in charge of taking care of the children"

"I know that Alpha"

"Good" I closed the paper and looked at her. She looked like someone who would be very strict with the children.

"You must know that the children are very fragile. Abuse will not be tolerated"

"Alpha. I love children. I may be strict but I'll never raise my hands on any of them"

I nodded. "Good. You'll have a month's trial and you'll be under scrutiny"

"That's okay Alpha"

"I'll introduce you to the children"

The children would be having classes now. I pressed the electronic bell and the sound of excited voices and running footsteps could be heard everywhere.

They all gathered in the open field and once I stood up, they all went silent.

I invited Ziriali to stand beside me so I can introduce her to the children.

"Meet Ziriali. She's your new matron"

"What happened to mother Glynnis? She didn't come to wake us up this morning" an older child asked.

This was going to be difficult.

I took my time addressing the children. Everyone asked questions about Glynnis. I had to explain to them that she had been let go.

Gannon left me and I helped Ziriali settle in. I also put a guard to watch Ziriali closely.

When I returned to the house, I went to check on Naomi. She was sleeping peacefully.

I went to the office and buried myself in my work. Tomas came over to help but we didn't finish on time. It was late already and we were still not done.

"Are you going to the party?"

"I still have to finish up all of this"

"I'll help you tomorrow. You still won't be done with it by midnight. Besides your mate will be there"

I had been thinking about it. It would give us some time to be together but I still had a lot to do.

"Come on man"

"Okay. I'll see you there"

I went upstairs to shower and changed into some simple clothes. I checked in on Naomi and she was playing with one of the maids. I was happy to see her smiling and having fun despite what happened.

I left the house and made my way into town. My beast searched for her scent as we drew closer. It wasn't difficult to spot her. She was with Winry but she was laughing with... Gannon.

My fists tightened in anger. They knew each other. It was her scent he had all over him the day we visited the human town and I thought they had been together.

But yesterday, I was her first. I shook off the anger and walked toward them.

"Cousin" Gannon smiled with excitement when he noticed me.

She turned towards me and smiled shyly. My anger and jealousy vanished instantly. I pulled her closer to me and I noticed Gannon roll his eyes.

"I'm going to go over there and talk to those pretty girls"

"I'll come with you," Winry said and followed after him.

"You said you weren't going to come"

I shrugged. "I changed my mind. How do you know Gannon?"

"I ran into him once in the human town. I spilled my perfume all over him" she laughed at the memory.

Fuck. Why did I think the worst of her?

"Let's go over there" she pointed to the front and I noticed there was a performance going on over there. We went over there and watched as some children performed a traditional dance.

My whole attention was fixated on Paisley while she watches the children clapping and cheering in excitement.

Her laughter tugged at my heart. She looked so beautiful. My beast stirred but I reigned him in. I noticed Tomas on the other side waving me over but I ignored him. The children finished and she pointed in another direction.

Someone bumped into us but apologized quickly and walked away. My gaze followed the covered figure but when Paisley tugged me, I followed her.

The rest of the night went on well. And while Paisley enjoyed every bit of it, I enjoyed looking at her, watching her laugh and eat.

As we were walking towards another performance, she suddenly stopped. I turned back to question her and noticed she was staring at something with shock.

I followed her out of sight and my eyes landed on a hooded figure.

"Nevaeh" she muttered under her breath.

The person on the other side looked up for a second before turning away and blending with the crowd.