Chapter sixteen

For dinner, it was only i and Winry. Nouria and Dryden decided to have dinner in the privacy of their home. Elowen and Dakarai were also not at home.

"So what is the human town like?" Winry asked while we ate.

"It's not so different from here. Almost like an alternate universe" she chuckled.

"I've always wanted to go there"

"Why haven't you?"

"My parents think it's too risky because I'm young and

I frowned. "Who is that?"

"She was my sister" was? Did something happen to her?

I was about to ask when her phone rang. She promised the other person she'll come out now so I knew it was going to be just me in the house.

There was literally nothing to do. I missed home and all my friends. I retired to the room but instead of staying on the couch like I usually did, i decided to stay on the bed.

I moaned in pleasure. I had missed the comfort of a bed. I fell asleep quickly burrowed under the covers.

Someone yanked the covers of me and I opened my eyes. I tried to make sense of what was happening when I saw a fuming Brayan.

"What the fuck is wrong with you" I scowled at him.

"Don't act stupid"

I scoffed. "Stupid?" I was really going to enjoy frustrating the man child.

"Why are you on the bed"

"Because that is where humans are supposed to sleep" I said in a duh tone.

"This is my room and my bed. You stay on the couch"

"No"

"No?" He stared at me in disbelief.

"What the fuck do you mean by that?"

"In case you do not understand, I am not leaving this bed"

"Don't make me move you" he threatened.

"What? You're going to touch me? I'm going to scream this house down and you know what that means"

"Are you threatening me?"

"Call it what you want. I'm sure you don't want your family to find out I've been sleeping on the couch"

"You think I care what they find out?"

"I know you do. You have you follow all mummy and daddy's decision. You are spineless" I don't know where that came out from but his face only tightened in anger and I knew I just fucked up. His hand was around my throat in an instant as he snarled in my face.

I clawed at his fingers but he only tightened them around my neck.

"You will show me respect. I am your alpha"

I tried to nod or tell him I understood but the grip around my throat wasn't letting me say anything.

Like answered prayers, he released my neck and stormed out of the room. What a tantrum princess I thought as I coughed.

He was going to pay dearly for that. I grabbed the covers and settled myself properly on the bed.

I had no interruptions until the morning. Brayan was nearly falling of the couch when I woke up. His huge frame too big for the couch. His neck was also bent at an awkward angle.

I should feel sorry for him but when I remembered I had been going through this for the last few days, all pity vanished.

He rolled over and I quickly turned away pretending the wall was more interesting. He grumbled as he walked past the bed and to the bathroom. I bit in a chuckle. I had found my own fun.

The next two days was like that and when I passed him on the hallway, I noticed he had bags under his eyes. I also heard him complain that he wasn't getting proper sleep.

Should I feel bad? Yes. Did I feel bad? No.

I was currently making my way to Elowen. I had something new that would annoy the idiot further. But I was still looking for a way to execute it.

"Paisley. You look radiant today"

"I'm plain in comparison to you" I said and she blushed. I heard a snort and turned. Whitely was in a corner with a book in her hands and her glasses perched on the edge of her nose. I ignored her.

"Can I please borrow your phone?"

"Sure. Here it is"

I took the phone and went back to my room.

I dialed Nevaeh's number first. It was disconnected. I called papa and someone picked.

"Hello? Papa? Can you hear me? Papa?"

"Paisley. I can hear you. Why are you calling?"

"Why am I... never mind. Have you found Nevaeh?"

"Shhhh. You can't talk about that there"

"No one can hear me. I'm alone. So what's the news?"

"There is still no sign of her. Paisley please hold in a little longer. We are going to find her"

"Papa..." I tried to tell him that the mating wasn't compulsory but he cut me off.

"Silas knows the truth"

"What?"

"Somehow, he figured it out and he told us something important. The beasts are the ones who do the picking" my eyes widened.

"How? Silas... I thought the human leaders did that"

"We thought wrong my child. Silas said the family name was given to him by the beasts. He also said Nevaeh's name was written on it"

"That's impossible"

"I didn't believe it too. There is something I have to tell you. That day.... The day of the choosing. He was the one who told me to choose Nevaeh. That she had been chosen specially by their gods"

"W-What does that mean" I asked in a scared voice.

"You must not let them find out. It'll be dangerous for all of us. I know you're scared but you just have to stay calm while we find your sister"

"There is something you should know. The queen told me herself. After the month ends, I can decide to walk away. None of us have to get mated"

"No. No. Nobody can walk away. It's a trap. I can't say everything over the phone now but you have to play along. Silas has your brother. He... he says you're wild and impulsive"

"What? What does that have to do with Coulter?" I asked in a raised voice.

There was a loud noise from their side and I could hear argument.

"Papa. Papa? What's wrong?"

"Listen here Paisley" it was Silas and he sounded very angry.

"I'm going to try and find that sister of yours before the final mating but in the mean time, you have to play your part. And if your darling sister is not found, then you have to mate the damn beast"

"I can't. You know I have a fiancée. I'm supposed to be getting married"

"I don't give a fuck. Your family should have thought of that. Listen closely Paisley, if you do a damn thing to wreck this alliance, I'll end your family"

"Silas you..." I heard the beep of the phone signaling the end of the call. I shook in fright. What the hell was happening.

I had finally seen a chance for freedom for all of us. But I couldn't take it because my family was at risk.

I heard a sound at the door and Brayan stepped inside the room. He had an unreadable expression on his face and I got even more scared.

Did he hear my conversation?