Chapter thirty-four

I still didn't sleep properly at night. No matter how much I tried, I just kept tossing and turning until the morning. I woke up really early and brushed my teeth, washed my face and went to find Brayan.

I stopped at our room first but he wasn't there. The bed was still made telling me that he didn't sleep there.

I went to his office and knocked on the door. I heard a low grunt from inside and I entered.

"What are you doing here Paisley?" He asked in a calm voice.

"I need to talk to you. About what happened yesterday"

"Let it be Paisley"

"No. I can't let it be. Not when you're thinking that I did something like that. I'll swear on the life of my family. I didn't do it. I didn't touch Naomi"

"And she's lying?"

"I don't know? Yes. We have to talk to her...."

"And put her through the pain of remembering what she had to pass through?"

"We have to if we want to find out the truth. I didn't touch her. This feels like some kind of conspiracy and if someone else did it to her then we have to find out who it is before she gets hurt again"

"No one under this roof will ever hit a child. I've known them all my life and they are not like that"

"Right. And you know nothing about me. So I'm the one who did it"

"Don't try to turn this around. She said you did it but you're here trying to find someone to blame" he shouted angrily.

"I'm not trying to blame anyone. Why can't you see that Naomi could be lying. About everything. About Glynnis. About what happened that night" i shouted angrily too.

I didn't want this conversation to go this way but he was just making things difficult for me.

"I already told you to let it go Paisley. Naomi has forgiven youI've decided to overlook it because you're important to me and as long as you promise never to try it again. Stop pushing it"

I scoffed. "I don't need anyone to forgive me or overlook shit. I didn't do anything" I shouted angrily and stormed out of his office slamming the door behind me.

I went downstairs to get some water and maybe something into my stomach. I felt dehydrated and hungry.

Elowen was in the kitchen with Rivka and I wanted to turn around and go back upstairs.

"Paisley" she stopped me.

"Good morning" I said.

"Good morning. Please come and sit" she tapped the counter stool beside her and I walked over to her.

"I heard your voices while you argued"

I didn't say anything. What could I possibly say? I just traced the pattern on the counter.

"I want us to forget about what happened yesterday. Sometimes we do things when we are angry and..."

"I would never hit a child"

"I know but sometimes anger...."

"I didn't do it" I said getting angry again.

"Okay" I climbed down from the stool and went back to Winry's room.

She was still in bed and so I climbed back into bed and fell asleep.

"Paisley" Winry was trying to wake me up.

"Are you coming down for breakfast?"

"No. Not hungry" my stomach chose that time to rumble.

"Come on Paisley. Don't starve yourself"

"I'm not hungry Winry" I turned away. She sighed and left the room.

I cried into my pillow after she left. They all thought I hurt Naomi. It pained me because I didn't and would never do something like that.

I cried myself to sleep. I stayed in bed for the rest of the morning and maybe sometime into the afternoon. I didn't leave the end even after Winry begged me to.

Elowen came into the room and I turned away pretending to be asleep.

"Paisley. You've been in here all day and you've not gotten any thing to eat"

"I'm not hungry"

"I know you are. You didn't eat anything last night and you've not eaten all through today. I'm worried about you"

"You don't have to be. I'm fine. I just want to sleep" it came out a bit harsh but I didn't care in that moment. She sighed deeply and left the room.

I did get something to eat later that day and the next two days but I spent majority of my time in Winry's room. I felt lighter about the whole situation but I just wanted to be on my own.

There was a knock on the door and Elowen entered.

I smiled softly at her.

"Hello Paisley"

"Hey"

"The last few days have been tense and I just wanted you to have your space. There's something I want us to talk about"

I had a feeling it had to do with the third ritual. It was supposed to have happened by now but because of everything that happened, they had pushed it off. Question was, I didn't know if I wanted to continue with the third ritual.

"It's about the third ritual" she watched my face.

"With everything that's going on, I don't know if we should do this"

"We have to. Except you both are calling the whole thing off. The fourth ritual will happen at the end of the week. We have to do this before the end of the week"

"And we have to do it together?"

"Yes. It must be together"

"And Brayan, what does he have to say?"

"I've not spoken to him but I'm sure he has no problem with going through with the ritual"

"I have a problem with it. I don't think I can go through with it"

"You want to call the whole thing off?"

"No. It's just.... I don't think we should do this now. There's no trust between us and.."

"I understand. Maybe I can do something to move it up. In the mean time, I think it's better for you and Brayan to have a talk. It's long overdue"

"I tried the last time. It didn't end well. I don't think there's any need to. You know what, I think it's fine if we go on with the third ritual as planned"

"Paisley. I told you I'll do something. There's no need to rush it"

"Nothing is going to change even if we push the date forward. I want us to get it over with"

"Very well then. I'll be back with the details later today. Try and come out and get some fresh air"

I smiled at her. "I will"

She kissed my forehead and left the bedroom while I pulled the covers over me.

I should probably step out of the room for some air.