Chapter forty-seven

For the next two weeks, I started to feel better. Eating was still a problem for me mostly because I couldn't keep anything down.

Kamiko had lived up to the true definition of a best friend and sister. Coming here was the best decision ever. I looked at my phone in my hand. Still no messages.

I sent more messages and tried calling severally but he wasn't picking my calls. I even went as far as sending messages to Winry, Marisol and Nouria. I didn't get any response either.

I was lounging on the living room couch when the door opened.

"Kamiko..."

"Not Kamiko" I sat up quickly and looked at Nevaeh.

"What are you doing here?" My voice came out harsh and I didn't feel regret when I saw her hurt look.

"I wanted to talk to you"

"I don't want to" I stood up from the couch to go inside. Hopefully she'll leave soon.

"Please Paisley. I hate that we are like this. I've tried to give you space and understand why you're treating us like this but I don't get it. I want things to go back to how they used to be"

"I don't know what upsets me more. What you did to me or how you are feigning ignorance about what you've done"

"If this is about running away, I'm sorry but what happened that day, I was trying to save you"

"Save me? I told you I was alright. I begged you to leave and not to say anything"

"How did you expect me to do that. You're my twin sister"

"Did you just remember that? You ran away so that I would be sent to the wolves"

"I was scared" she shouted.

"And I wasn't?" I shouted angrily.

"I was doing everything in my power to find a way out for you"

"But it wasn't working"

"And the right thing to do was to run away knowing fully well that I would be sent to them"

"And I'm saying I'm sorry. I'm sorry for doing that to you"

"Why did you come back?" She made it clear the last time we spoke that she wasn't going to come back until after the mating so I was curious why she returned"

"Regret. Guilt. I realized I was being selfish. I had taken your happiness away by running away. I saw you at the festival although it was for a brief moment, I saw that you were unhappy. And then when I came back, I hear what Silas had done to papa and Coulter. My guilt doubled and I wanted to find a way out for all of us. Mama told me not to. That you were in love but I didn't believe her. I thought you were lying so she wouldn't worry. I swear I only had your best interest in heart"

I scoffed. So mama knew Nevaeh had returned but she said nothing to warn me.

"I've been very selfish and unfair to you but I want to do better. I want things to go back to how they were. When we loved each other unconditionally and looked out for ourselves. I don't want something so trivial to come between us"

"It's not trivial" I spat.

"I loved him"

"I'm sorry again. Please Paisley" she begged me, her eyes wet with tears.

Most of my anger towards them had dissipated and I was eventually going to go back and speak to them.

"Our family is hurting because of this. Mama and papa are unhappy. I can't help but feel guilty because it is my fault and I just want to make things right. Please"

She looked sincere. I've never held something against her for so long. Curse my weak heart towards family. I spread my hands and she ran into them. We hugged each other tightly and I cried. I've missed her so much. All of them.

"I'm sorry" she kept whispering.

"I've forgiven you. But you must never do one thing like that. I won't forgive you ever again"

"I'll never" I squeeze my arms around her. We heard claps and I pulled away to see who it was. Kamiko was clapping and Edel was standing beside her.

"Edel?" He had a wide smile on his face and an expectant look. He looked as handsome as he used to but as I looked at him, I felt nothing. No spark or excitement like I used to in the past.

It was just like I was staring at an old friend. No feelings towards him whatsoever.

"We'll give you some space" Nevaeh said and she walked away with Kamiko leaving Edel and I.

"Let's sit" he sat on the couch I was on previously and I joined him keeping a good distance between us.

"I heard you returned. And everything that happened"

I played with my fingers. "I'm sorry I disappeared"

"It's fine I understand. I also went away for...some business and I only just returned"

I nodded. "How did it go?"

"Good. So ummm.... You almost got married?"

"Yes. Listen Edel..... things have changed. I was going to come and clear things up with you"

"We can't be together anymore?"

I shook my head.

"We loved each other so much. I still love you"

"I know that. I loved you too but not anymore. Things changed. I fell in love with someone else"

"In a month? You forgot about me in a month?"

"I didn't forget about you. And yes I fell in love in a month. It was totally unexpected but it happened and I won't trade it for anything"

"The mating got cancelled. It can't work anymore but we can fix our situation"

I stood up quickly, moving backwards towards the door. I was done with this conversation.

"I'm sorry Edel but there's nothing to fix"

"Paisley" he stood up from the couch and approached me.

"You're saying this because it's fresh. I'll give you sometime to heal and we can talk about this"

"There's nothing to talk about anymore Edel, I love Brayan"

"Paisley" he shouted angrily. His hand holding my wrists tightly. I tried to move out of his grip but he wouldn't let go.

"Let go of me Edel"

"I've listened to you enough. You're not making any sense. I love you" he has a wild look in his eyes and I became scared.

"Edel.." I cried in panic. His nails were digging into my skin.

"I suggest you let go of her before I break your weak hands" a deadly voice said from behind me and Edel instantly let go.

I knew that voice so well. I turned quickly and almost cried in relief when I saw Brayan standing at the door.