Chapter eleven

"No. No. She'll never do that" I shook my head in disbelief.

"She left a note. I found it in the wardrobe"

She handed me a small paper but I refused to look at it. Nevaeh didn't run away. She would have told me if she wanted to leave. We were together last night. She would have said something.

"No" I ran out of the house with my phone in my hand. I called her phone but it wasn't connecting. I was at the front of her shop waiting to see if she would come back.

I decided to call Lucretia.

"Hello. Lucretia how are you doing" I wiped the tears from my eyes.

"Fine honey. How are you"

"Good. Have you seen Nevaeh today?"

"Yeah. Earlier today. She was in a hurry" fuck no.

"Is something wrong?"

"No" I said quickly.

"Thank you Lucretia" I hung up quickly.

I sat outside the shop for a long while. Mama kept calling but I ignored her calls. It was very late in the night when I went back home. The house was silent but mama was waiting at the kitchen. She ran over to me the moment she saw me.

"My goodness where have you been Paisley?" I didn't answer her and just walked past and went straight into Nevaeh's room. I was feeling so numb from betrayal.

How could Nevaeh just leave without saying a single word to me.

'Do you really expect her to stay and met them take her to the beast?' My subconscious asked.

Right. She was running away from the problem. I suggested it to her anyways but I don't think she'll run away after rejecting the idea.

I saw the note mama was giving me earlier and I picked it up.

'Dear Paisley, by the time you find this letter, I would be gone already. It hurts me to do this but I can't possibly sit silent and let our parents send me to a beast. You made me believe you will do something to help me out but you failed in the end' the tears fell from my eyes and I didn't bother to clean it. It was partly my fault. I continued reading through the letters with blurry eyes.

'Remember the times you got in trouble and I always had your back. I took the blame for you' I smiled at that.

I had lost count of the number of times she had taken the blame for my actions.

'I can't help but be selfish now. It's time for me to put myself first. Our family must provide a mate and with me gone, it'll have to be you. Think of it as a payment for all the time I had your back. Love, Nevaeh'

I read her last words over and over again. The sting of her betrayal fresh in my heart. I was engaged to be married but I was willing to drop my life and everything to run away with her just to protect her but she betrayed me.

She betrayed our sisterhood and I don't think I could ever forget that. As far as I'm concerned, I would never go to the beasts.

I picked myself, wiped my tears and went into my own bedroom. After washing the dirt away from my body, I climbed into bed to sleep.

The next morning, I didn't even bother to get out of bed. After I had told myself I'll not cry again, I still cried because I found it hard to believe she would ever do something like that to me.

I forced myself out of bed and into the living room. My family was sitting together with gloomy faces.

"Paisley come sit" father tapped the space beside him but I sat down on the empty chair away from everybody.