Chapter thirty-three

Throughout the day, I couldn't help but think about it. I wanted to tell Brayan about my findings but there was a possibility he wouldn't believe me. He had a soft spot for Naomi and he would not believe she had lied about it.

But Simeon couldn't possibly be telling lies. He wouldn't make such a story up.

Morning came quickly and I didn't get enough sleep. Brayan left our bed before the crack of dawn.

"Are you going somewhere?"

"Yes. I have to meet with some of the people today" he entered into the bathroom and I listened as he showered. I slept while listening and opened my eyes when I felt a soft kiss on my forehead.

"I'll see you later"

"Bye" he kissed me and I snuggled deeper into the pillow.

I woke up much later in the day and took a bath. When I went downstairs, everywhere was silent.

"Rivka" I called out but there was no response.

I decided to fix myself some food and go to the library again or return back to bed. I still felt very tired.

After making breakfast, I was eating when I heard someone enter the kitchen. It was Whitely and she had an angry look on her face.

I continued eating my food while she moved around the kitchen.

"I wonder how they choose the bride's nowadays" she poured herself a drink.

"Low class and mannerless. No home training"

"You have something you want to say to me?" I tried to ignore her but involving my parents, I just couldn't.

"You heard me clearly girl"

I chuckled dryly. "I don't know what reaction you're trying to get out of me, but I won't be giving it. You won't get that satisfaction"

"I'll like to see you try anything. You'll know why I'm not a defenseless human like you"

"At least I'm not a bitter old bitch who no one agreed to marry" I spat at her before leaving the kitchen.

That was a mean thing to say but she totally deserved it. I won't apologize.

I found the library and entered, shutting the door gently behind me. I grabbed a random book from the shelf and tried to read it but I dozed off.

I jerked upright in fear when I heard the door slam roughly. I was surprised to see Brayan marching towards me in anger.

"Brayan?"

"Shut the fuck up" he jerked me roughly from the chair and dragged me through the library.

I classed at his hands but he wouldn't let go. His tight grip was going to cause a bruise by the time he finally let go.

"You're hurting me Brayan. Let me go" but he didn't listen and dragged me down the stairs until I was standing before the family who had confused looks on their faces.

"Let her go Brayan" Elowen said but made no move to come towards us.

"Stay out of this mama" he shouted.

I noticed Naomi sobbing on the chair and when she looked up, I gasped in shock. There were bruises all over her face and she was red from crying.

What the hell happened to her.

"You see what you fucking did to a harmless child?"

Wait. Me?

"I didn't do anything" I defended myself. I didn't see Naomi today and I've been sleeping in the library.

"Don't fucking lie" he shouted in my face.

"I'm not lying" I shouted and ripped my hand from his tight grip not caring if I suffered more injuries.

"Stop screaming please. I'm sorry I told him even when you told me not to" Naomi cried louder and my confusion grew.

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"Stop shouting at the child" Whitely said from behind me.

"Naomi already told us what you did to her and trying to scare her by shouting will never work. You're safe now Naomi" she moved over to her and wrapped her arms around Naomi who sobbed harder.

I looked around the room. Elowen and Dakarai had disappointed looks on their faces. They honestly couldn't believe that I did it.

"You..." I couldn't be here.

I turned away and walked out of the door.

"Get back here Paisley" Brayan shouted but I ignored him.

How could? What the hell was happening. They believed that I would hurt a child and like that? It brought tears to my eyes but I wiped it away furiously. I shouldn't cry.

I didn't do anything wrong. I didn't hurt her and I shouldn't cry.

I walked around aimlessly. It was evening already and the clouds were getting dark. Where I was going to, I had no idea but I just wanted to keep talking.

I passed by the orphanage and I was tempted to stop but I didn't. I thought about Simeon and all he said. I believed him now. Glynnis was wrongly accused. Poor Glynnis. Nobody believed her.

Naomi was a liar. How could she hurt herself just to cause problems for others. Why was she doing it in the first place.

Did Whitely put her up to this? I shook my head. Then who put her up to accusing Glynnis?

Was it her plan all along? Maybe I needed to tell Brayan. He needed to speak to Naomi and ask her what really happened that night. The little girl may not be as she seems.

I returned home with a goal on my mind. Find Brayan and explain things to him. Elowen was the first person I saw when I entered.

"Goodness Paisley. Where have you been?"

"I...I took a little walk"

"You scared me. All of us. I know what happened...."

"Where is Brayan? I need to speak with him"

"No Paisley. Not now. You can't. He's in a very bad mood because of what happened and you are the last person he'll want to see right now"

"I need to talk to him. I didn't touch Naomi. I've not seen her today. I've been in the library all through. There is some kind of misunderstanding"

She didn't say anything. She didn't need to. Her face said it all. She didn't believe me.

"You don't believe me?"

"I don't know. I don't know what to believe. On one hand I know you're a sweet girl and you'll never do that. On the other hand, I don't think Naomi will lie about something like this or hurt herself just to lie"

I scoffed. "Just like Glynnis case? It's fine" I turned away, walking up the stairs. I didn't go back to our bedroom or look for Brayan.

Elowen was right. If he was still upset, we would only scream at each other. I found myself at Winry's door.

She opened the moment I knocked.

"Paisley..." she hugged me tightly.

"I can't believe anything she's saying. I know you would never hit a child"

I nodded. It was comforting that at least, one person believed me. It brought tears to my eyes and even though I tried to fight it this time, it spilled down my face.

"Can I... sleep in your bedroom tonight?"

"Of course. Come in" I followed her inside and climbed into her bed.