Chapter 5

I read the caller ID on my purple cordless phone. "It's Lily," I told Nicole who was laid across my bed with an open textbook.

'What are you doing?" Lily's voice asked, an octave even higher than normal.

"Studying."

"Is Nicole with you?"

"Yeah. She's – "

"Good," she interrupted. "Both of you be outside your front door in fifteen minutes. I've got a big surprise." She hung up before I could answer.

I looked down at the disconnected phone.

Nicole sat up. "What was that about?"

"We're supposed to meet her outside in fifteen minutes for some sort of surprise. She called from her mobile phone so it must be big. You know her parents only let her use it in emergencies."

She closed her book. "I wonder what it is."

"We'll find out soon."

Eight minutes later Nicole and I were standing in my driveway. There was no point in trying to study after Lily's call. Nicole stretched her neck as far as she could searching for Lily's surprise to appear on the street. Standing on her tip toes she asked "Can I copy your English notes? I got distracted when Ms. Remy droned on about Romeo and Juliet. It's like she was giving a dissertation on how teenagers are all idiots." She fell back onto her heels. "We get it Ms. Remy, love at first sight can ruin you."

"I'm not exactly sure that was Ms. Remy's intent but you can borrow any notes you need. They're stuck in the yellow folder in my locker."

"Thanks. I'll pick them up tomorrow between classes."

I checked my watch. "Whenever works. You know the lock combo."

Seconds later a white BMW sped down the street and did a swift turn into my driveway, forcing both Nicole and I to jump back to avoid getting hit.

Nicole slipped her foot back into her sandal that had popped off. "I don't believe it."

"Lily?" I peered through the windshield to the driver's seat.

Lily jumped out of the car and ran to us. "Isn't it beautiful?"

I stared in awe at the shiny new sedan. "This is yours?"

"Of course! I passed my driving test today and my dad surprised me with this. Can you believe it?" Lily looked as if she was about to burst out of her skin.

Nicole leaned into the driver's side window to check out the inside. I thought he told you to expect a Honda?"

"Yeah, but he said that since I did so well during summer school that I deserved an upgrade." Lily admired her new car. "Don't forget, I got two A's."

I nodded my head. "This is definitely an upgrade. It's amazing."

"I know! I'm so in love."

"Weren't you two A's in Health Ed and photography?" Nicole quipped.

"Yessss," Lily dragged out, "but they count." She dangled her new keys in her hand. "Hop in. We're going to pick up Lauren and then we'll go to the mall and get ice cream at Two Scoops or something. I don't care where we go, I just want to drive my new car."

I cast a skeptical eye on the car. "Is it safe to get in this thing? You nearly hit us two minutes ago.

"It's got airbags," she said.

Nicole and I smiled at each other and as I opened my mouth, she yelled out "Shotgun!", beating me to it.

I snapped my fingers. "Dang it!"