Chapter 7

I heard shouting coming from Lily's bedroom when Nicole opened the front door.

"Her parents found out, didn't they? Are they yelling at her for having us over without telling them?"

Nicole scrunched her face up. "No, they left two hours ago. That screaming you hear is Lily telling Lauren to change her clothes. It's your turn to referee."

It looked like every piece of clothing that Lily normally kept in her huge closet was on the floor. She was sitting on her knees and sifting through the tops, dresses, and skirts sprawled out. She sat up and pointed at Lauren when she saw me. "Jenny, tell her she can't wear that!"

"What's wrong with my outfit?" Lauren tugged at the brightly colored windbreaker covering her short overalls.

"You look twelve!" Lily wailed.

Lauren threw her arm at Lily's wall. "Says the girl with the Luke Perry poster on her wall!"

"It's timeless! And he's still hot!"

Lauren's windbreaker made a crunch sound when she plopped onto the bed. "I don't even want to go. What if we get in trouble?"

Lily groaned. "We've already talked about that. Everything will be fine."

I looked to Nicole who put her hands up. "I already tried. It's your turn."

I sat next to Lauren. "Do you really not want to go or do you not want to go because you think we'll get caught?"

"I don't know," she shrugged. "I mean, I want to go but I'm nervous. What if they don't let us in or they kick us out and everyone finds out? It'll be super embarrassing and worse than not going."

"That's not go-",

I put my hand up to stop Lily from interrupting. "Is that all?

Lauren fiddled with the corner of Lily's purple comforter. "And the whole getting caught and grounded thing."

I put my hand up again because I could sense Lily's mouth about to open. She let out a sigh.

"I really don't see how we'll get caught," I said. "This is a normal weekend for us, at least from our parent's point of view. They shouldn't think anything is different but if we do get caught, then I will take all the blame."

"That's not fair."

I shrugged. "Just tell them that I brought you there and you had no way of getting home."

"They won't believe you would do that."

"Tio would believe it's something I'd so you can blame it on me," Lily offered.

I put my arm around Lauren. "And about us not getting in? You can forget about that because Cody invited us personally."

"No way!" Nicole gasped. "That is awesome!"

"When?" Lauren asked.

"Today after study hall. He said I could come and bring my friends so we are all in."

Lily let out a little yelp. "That is so perfect! Everything is working out. See girls, our time has arrived."

Lauren unzipped the windbreaker. "Lily, hand me that dress."

 #

"Can't you just feel it in the air?" Lily asked aloud as the four of us stepped through the front gate of the stadium.

There was something in the air that made the night feel special, almost like it was electrified with possibility.

"Hey girls, wait up!"